The Raven Girl- ch 10- dragons

Start from the beginning

“There is no way you are going to go near my collection. It’s far too dangerous.”

Lord Manfred agreed, “Yes her highness should view the butterfly cases in the upper wing.”

They couldn’t be serious; I wanted to see the dragons not dead bugs. Dante’s face darkened like he was reading my mind, getting up from his chair he dismissed the seamstress and strode over to me.

“Ebony, don’t think about disobeying me.” He warned.

The seamstress clapped her hands and announced, “The hem is lifted. The dress is complete.”

“Wonderful,” Dante said flatly pulling me off the chair. “We can finally have breakfast.”

I stared across the vast expanse of the table that spanned the entire length of the great dining hall. Dante was like a crimson speck in the distance sat. The great dining hall could seat up to a hundred guests and Dante assured me that this room was regularly used and always full to capacity. Dante liked parties and was eager to show me off to his friends. He said it was because he loved me but then he did also say I was one of a kind.

“Ebony, my princess, you look a little down hearted.” Dante commented. He was watching me from the far side of a great mahogany dining table as I ate breakfast, although honestly I wasn’t eating anything. Pushing about the melon the servants had given me with my polished silver fork, I couldn’t help thinking about what the raven had said. When I didn’t reply Dante sighed irritably,

“Do not ignore me Ebony. I hate being ignored.”

For a moment I thought another argument might ensue but a man burst through the door wearing jeans and a t-shirt. His brown hair was edgy with gel and he looked really modern. Dante made an inward sort of sigh of irritation as the stranger pointed at me.

“Mate- what is that?” The man asked looking at me.

“Henry get lost.”

“No way. What the fuck is she?” Henry smiled coming closer.

“Do you like her?” Dante said.

The man crossed the room and sat down next to me examining me closely.

“Hmm… she’s okay.” Henry replied reaching out to touch my hair.

“Hey, no touching my stuff.” Dante snapped.

“Does it eat? I wanna see it eat.” Henry said picking up a fork and spearing a piece of melon and waving it in front of my mouth.

“Leave her alone moron!”

Henry waved a dismissive hand at Dante and rolled his eyes. Bringing the melon to his nose, Henry sniffed the melon and gingerly licked the fruit, his whole face scrunched up in disgust. Dropping the chunk of melon on he picked up my napkin and began wiping his tongue with it.

“That’s bloody awful” He spluttered, “No wonder she’s not bloody eating. Here pass us that blood.” He yelled at a waiter. The waiter approached with a silver decanter and a goblet.

“You need proper decent food.” He said softly taking the decanter and pouring red liquid into the goblet.

“She’s not a vampire Henry. She does not drink blood.” Dante groaned.

“Come on, blood has to better than that.” Henry replied looking at the bowl of melon.

“Ebony loves melon, don’t you sweetheart?” Dante replied.

“Of course she doesn’t bloody well like it, she’s not eating it fuckwit.” Henry said loosing patience.

“Only because she is sulking.”

“Sulking? Why is she sulking?”

“I resorted to slightly brutal tactic in persuading her to marry me.”

“Ahh poor little flower,” Henry said bestowing a moment’s pity on me before switching subject. “I heard Manfred grumbling about that dragon.”

“I’m giving Aria to the goblins as a gesture of sympathy.”

“That’s very generous, too generous if you ask me.”

“No one is asking you Henry.”

“Suit yourself but personally I would have given that nasty red dragon with the three heads to the goblins instead of Aria. Aria is divine. It would be a shame to kill her. What do you think flower?” Henry said looking at me.

“Henry if I have to remind you one more time to stop tormenting the princess I swear I am going to give you to the goblins instead of Aria.”

“Fine, I can take a hint. I’m out of here.” Henry said downing his goblet of blood and getting up leaving. Dante watched him leave through the great oak doors and when he could no longer hear Henry’s footsteps along the corridor he looked at me and said,

“Henry is a little unhinged. You should stay away from him.”

I wanted to burst out laughing. They were all unhinged. Dante stood up and walked the length of the table to where I was sat. He picked up the bowl of melon and a fork and perched on edge of the table,

“Do you want me to feed you like a child?”

I shook my head.

“Then eat.”

“I am not hungry.”

“Don’t lie, Ebony. I can tell when you are lying.”

“I am not hungry.”

“Fine, if you don’t eat then neither does your little dog.” He said dropping the bowl in front of me.

Biting my tongue I reached out and took the fork and began shovelling melon into my mouth. Dante smiled triumphantly as I finished the last piece of melon.

“Good girl.” He said.

“You talk to me like a dog.” I replied breaking the silence.

“Forgive me Ebony, it has been a long time since I last loved.”

“Can I leave?”

“You may leave the table but never my company.”

“Go to hell.” I snapped.