The Raven Girl- chapter 55

We ascended up the mountainside where I was dropped abruptly on to a stone ledge. Erik transformed into a man and pulled me to my feet. Shaking, I followed him through a set of great doors set into the mountainside. Inside was a castle carved into a rock. I think I would have been amazed, if I was not so scared. Dragging my fingers through my hair, I slumped to the ground.

Edvard was dead- yeah.

Dante was alive- double yeah.

Erik the dragon had abducted me- oh crap.

So just for one second when everything was going my way, another supernatural man comes waltzing into my life and gives me another heap of trouble.

“Um, Erik, are you going to release me back to my husband?” I asked.

Erik flung me an artic look of his shoulder, “Perhaps, but I should really kill you… but then I have the feeling that if I did that, I might start another 500 year war.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that,” I replied awkwardly, “At the time Dante was being mean to me and Edvard, my own brother, was trying to molest me…things just got so crazy me and Morgan decided to run away.”

“A lot of people have suffered because of your choices.”

“I know, and I have done everything in my power to atone for my mistakes.”

Erik paused and looked at me strangely, “How do you atone for the deaths you caused?”

Pain ripped through my heart and weakly I said,

“I followed the orders of the dragon locked in Dante’s basement.”

Erik was now looking at me like I was stark raving mad, “Okay.” He said stepping away from me.

“I’m not crazy-”

“That’s what all crazy people say.”

“There was a dragon locked in Dante’s basement! Her name was Aria.”

The name grabbed Erik’s attention and he quickly crossed the room to me. Gripping my shoulders he stared in to my eyes, “Where is she?”

“They killed her, the goblins. She was defenceless. I tried to stop them but they wouldn’t listen!” I said, remembering hanging out the tower window screaming for the dragon to be shown mercy. Erik released my shoulders and whispered,

“The last of the old ones are dead.”

“I’m so sorry.” I replied.

“This was Dante’s doing, wasn’t it?”

I nodded my head.

“Well, it seems I have changed my mind about keeping you alive.” Erik said.

Adrenaline pumped through me and I dug my heels into the floor and tried to push myself away from him. Erik was trembling with rage. He reached towards me, his hand outstretched, the fingernails lengthened and sharpened into vicious talons. I closed my eyes for a second and raised my arms to defend myself…

“Get away from her!” Morgan’s voice screamed out.

Erik, stunned to see my best friend flying at him like a rabid cat, backed away. Morgan dropped down at my side and scowled at Erik.

 “Dante is outside fighting off the dragons! We saw you being abducted by this overgrown lizard!” Morgan said, staring daggers at Erik.

Erik eyes widened, “Over grown lizard?!” He parroted.

“Yeah you heard me! You looked like a fat lazy iguana with wings trying to get up that mountain!” Morgan replied.

“Do you have any idea who you are talking to?” Erik demanded.

Morgan turned to me and lowered her voice, “Do you remember my Aunt Maude’s pet iguana, Percy, and how fat and smelly it was? Well this guy reminded of me of Percy with wing, huffing and puffing up that mountain.”

Erik’s eyes couldn’t open any wider, so his jaw had to drop open.

“Do you have any idea of how strong the winds are around the mountain?” Erik snapped.

Morgan shrugged, “When I was climbing it up, it felt like a breeze, so I have no idea why you flapping like an old hen.”

“Do not test my patience, insolent girl.” Eric said.

“Sorry Percy, opps I meant… shoot I don’t know your name, but you look like a Percy to me.” Morgan smiled.

Erik lost his cool and declared, “Now you will bear witness to the ultimate fire for your insults!  There is nothing that burns brighter or more ferociously than the dragon fire!”

Morgan cockily folded her arms, and smirked at Erik, “Come on then, Percy, do your worse!”

Bright orange flames burst around us but were quickly dissolved by a brilliant blue flame that exploded from Morgan. Smiling to herself she watched with great satisfaction the expression on Erik’s face.

“What the hell?” He murmured.

“Yeah that’s right honey! I’m a Fox,” Morgan winked. “And Fox’s flame kicks the ass out of any wimpy iguana flame!”