Chapter Eleven

You spent the next week trying to keep your mind off Bucky, but all you could ever think about was whether he was okay. The team had made plans to storm all HYDRA bases within a radius of where he was taken. Today was the day they were leaving. There were five different bases and so they split off into teams. You had begged the team to let you come but none of them caved.

"Please let me come Steve," you said as the teams started to group together. Peter Parker was standing over with your dad. What was he doing with the avengers? "Please, Nat trains me, I know how to defend myself, I really have to be there to find him," 

"Stop Y/n," said Steve, "You're not coming," you rolled your eyes and went over to your dad and Peter.

"Hey guys," you said, making Peter jump, this kid was a nervous wreck, "What you doing?"

"Peter is helping us," said your dad. Your dad had seemingly recruited a fourteen year old child to help storm HYDRA bases yet wouldn't let you go with them. Because that made sense. It made you so angry that you couldn't go with them, you loved Bucky, and you just wanted to see him and make sure he was safe.

"Please let me come," you said, "I don't want to be alone in the tower,"

"Nope," said Tony, walking away from you. You sighed and sat down on the sofa, the ground floor of the tower had been closed today so the teams were starting to gather equipment and stuff together. Nat, Steve and Wanda were going to the original base where Bucky had been captured. You watched as they all got their stuff ready and made last minute plans. You just wanted to help find Bucky. That was all that mattered to you.

"We're leaving," said Nat, coming over to you.

You nodded and tried to smile, but tears had started slipping down your cheeks. "We'll bring him back to you," said Nat, "I promise," you hated promises. Because you knew how easily this one could be broken. And that would hurt worse than if they hadn't promised. Promises meant hope. And right now you didn't have any of that. 

"Don't make a promise you can't keep," you said, wiping away the tears.

"We'll find him," she said, smiling at you, it looked like pitying because you were this grown woman crying over a guy who had probably now been turned into an assassin and forgotten you.

"Keep me updated okay," you said, getting up to say goodbye to everyone, "Promise me,"

"I promise you," she said. You said goodbye to Steve, Nat and Wanda who were taking the main jet to the original base. You were shaking slightly as you watched the jet get smaller. The nerves inside of you growing. You had all your hope riding in the team. Hope that they would bring Bucky back, and you hated having that pressure on them. Because you knew that they wouldn't be able to help if they found him or not. But your heart would still break if they didn't. 

Tony and Peter took the other smaller jet out and the rest were heading to SHIELD headquarters to take jets from there. As they said goodbye you were left alone in the tower, there weren't even any Stark Industries employees, just you. Alone. Again. 

Unsure what to do you sat next to your phone and the mic was on. You sat in the kitchen just waiting. For anything.

                                                                           -------------------------

Two days passed by and you heard nothing from anyone. They hadn't contacted SHIELD or you or each other. It was just silence on the mic. You hadn't slept since they left and were drinking another cup of coffee when you heard a noise over the mic.

"That you?" said Nat, you sighed with relief, at least one team was alive. Your heart raced as you waited to find out if they had managed to find Bucky. But Nat's pause stopped you from getting too excited. As you knew that something bad was about to happen, but you still kept your hope up. 

"Yeah," you said, "You got any info?" 

"They knew we were going to come back," she said, "The place is empty," the tiny glimmer of hope that had been there was gone. "We're gonna join the other teams, I'll keep you updated, Sorry I couldn't give you more,"

"It's fine," you said, even though it wasn't. Everyday that went by felt like you were losing Bucky more.

"Gotta go," she said. The mic went silent and you sipped the coffee. Your to-do list was still growing but you didn't feel motivated to do anything. The only thing you wanted to do was wait for any news on Bucky.

Hours merged into days as you sat by the mic. Occasionally a team member would talk over to say they were okay but there was nothing on Bucky. Two bases had been fully taken down already and there were only three left. Everyday the hopefulness inside you got a little smaller. And eventually everything inside you telling you to keep going would stop. Because you knew that you wouldn't get Bucky back again. 

                                                                                    ------------------

"He's here," said Steve over the mic. You sat up straight.

"What?" you asked. Had you been dreaming? It had been five days since they'd left and you had fully accepted that Bucky wasn't coming back to you. And that it was your fault. You rubbed your eyes. This was definitely a dream. 

"He's here," said Steve, "We found him Y/n, we're gonna bring him back to you," this time it was tears of happiness that were streaming down your face as you smiled. Bucky was going to come back to you and he was going to be okay. Of course things might not be the same, but at least he was coming back. At least he would be here again. You hadn't really lost him. 

"Is he okay?" you asked.

"Not sure," said Steve, as he beat up a guard on the other end of the line, "We're gonna go in when we've secured the base and any hostages," the next five minutes were painfully long as you waited for any information.

"We're going in," said Nat. You sat by the mic, the hope had returned inside of you as you waited for them to say something. For them to tell you Bucky was okay. No one said anything for a while, making you panic. What if he wasn't okay? You held your breath and messed with your hoodie sleeve. You were becoming more panicked. 

"Y/n he's here," said Wanda.

"Is he okay?" you asked. Breathing a sigh of relief. 

"We're gonna get him on the jet and Bruce will check him over okay," said Nat.

"Okay, okay," you said, "Thank you,"

Bucky was coming back to you, he was okay and he was coming back to you.