Chapter Four

"Come on guys," you said. After failing to find out more about Peter and checking on Harley you had moved to the next job. "Just tweet something funny that happened, please, we need this coverage, it isn't the seventies," everyone stared blankly at you. Trying to introduce them to social media was hard especially when they had spent most of their lives trying to cover up who they were rather than talk about their lives to the world.

"So like the fact that Steve punched the bag so hard this morning it fell off the wall," said Sam, earning an eye roll from both you and Steve. You sighed and dropped your head into your hands.

"You haven't posted in ages," said Nat, scrolling through her phone. Your accounts were private and the avengers had to follow you with an account with an untraceable username. That was your dad's rules. He was over-protective.

"I have no one to post too," you said, "You guys do," trying to get them to just open social media was an effort, "Come on Nat, please, I'll go halloween outfit shopping with you right now," you said, you knew this would convince her, considering when your dad banned her influence over it two years ago when you came as a police woman. And not the kind you would see on the street.

Nat glared at you, "Fine, I'll tweet about the Halloween Party," she said.

"Come on guys please, the media starts writing fake articles otherwise, you know I hate dealing with those, it takes me weeks to take them down," everyone sighed and took out their phones. The last time you had to deal with a fake article you hadn't slept and had been in the worst mood, the media were not the easiest people to deal with.

"Come on we're going shopping now," said Nat, just as your dad walked in. You both stayed in silence. He'd definitely heard what she'd said. You took out your phone and pretended to look busy.

"Why do you need to go shopping?" he asked.

"I need some new work clothes," you said, which was a bad excuse, considering you worked here and no one would care if you wore joggers and a hoodie. You looked at your dad wide eyed and innocent. Hoping he wouldn't care. 

"Why do you need Natasha?" asked your dad. So he did care. Cool. 

"Because she was bored and wanted to come," you glanced at Nat who was innocently staring at your dad the same as you. "It'll be fine dad please," you both smiled at him sweetly. Hoping he would let you go. Tony held quite an influence over you. Honestly you didn't really care and hardly had the effort to fight back most days. 

"Tony come onnn," she said. Your dad sighed and ignored you. She grabbed your arm and dragged you out the building.

"Hey can some others come?" said Steve, "We need costumes for the party too," so Steve wasn't the best at getting the hint. Nat rolled her eyes, leave it to Steve to ruin it. Tony spun round, his eyes wide.

"I knew it," he said matter of factly.

"No, Nat wants a halloween costume, I am going as a librarian," you said, that was the worst excuse. You would probably never ever be caught dead in a librarian costume, especially at Tony's halloween party. But hopefully he would believe you. 

"Fine, but only if Steve and some others go with you, I still don't trust you fully yet," said Tony. Nat smiled at you.

Ten minutes later, you, Wanda, Nat, Bucky, Sam and Steve were stood in the elevator. Bucky had mainly tagged along because he preferred to be around Steve. You tried to ignore Nat's stares, "What are you gonna go as?" she whispered.

"I thought you said a librarian?" said Steve, bless him.

"Sure," you said, as you and Nat tried to stifle your laughter.

                                                    ---------------------------

Sam pulled into the mall parking lot. Your phone rang, it was your dad. "Hey," you said.

The car stopped in a space and everyone began to get out. "I need you to drop by Peter Parker's apartment and tell him I want to see him," said Tony. You sighed, you couldn't even go out without being nagged to do something.

"Sure, I'll do it later, text me the details," you jogged to catch up with Nat who linked your arm.

The mall was busy, you noticed it made Bucky tense up but you didn't want to say anything that would make him feel uncomfortable. You walked round the mall, a lot of shops had started to display costumes. Nat dragged you inside many shops, trying on different costumes, but none of them were really what you were looking for, not that you knew what you were looking for.

"What do you think of this?" said Nat. You and Wanda were in the fourth dressing room as she showed you what felt like the hundredth costume.

"It's nice," you said, zoning out, "I'm gonna go grab an iced coffee, ring me if you need me," you picked up your purse and left the dressing room, noticing Bucky stood alone outside you gestured for him to join you. You walked in silence most of the way, not wanting to force conversation.

"Want anything?" you asked, ordering your iced coffee. He shook his head.

You grabbed the drink, "So what are you gonna go as for the party?" you asked.

He shrugged his shoulders, "I guess I'm one of the monsters people dress as," he said quietly. It made your heart shatter that he would say that about himself, you gently touched his arm, this time he didn't flinch away.

"Bucky, Come on," you said gently, "You're not a monster," you gently placed your hand in his, expecting for him to pull away, but he didn't. Maybe that question had been too much. You walked back in silence to the shop. Before you entered, you let go of his hand, he probably didn't want to be seen holding your hand, but he grabbed it back again, it made your heart flutter. So maybe you had a slight crush on him. When you got to the dressing room, Nat was holding a costume.

"We should go as angels, like all three of us," she said, holding out a white dress, even if you could call it that, there was hardly any dress.

"And give my dad a heart attack?" you said, still holding Bucky's hand, which no one seemed to notice.

"Come onnn," she said, "He doesn't have to know until he sees you," she handed you the outfit.

"Fine," you went to try it on, gently letting go of Bucky's hand. You pulled on the dress and the halo headband. You opened the door to the dressing room where Nat, Wanda, Bucky, Steve and Sam, who had appeared from nowhere, were standing.

"Wow," said Bucky softly, staring at you.