Chapter Fifteen:

--Day Fourteen--     

“You guys don’t need to worry!”  Liam cried, “I mean she’s been nursing this crush for three years and it hasn’t gotten anywhere.  So I don’t think anything will change now.”

Callum shut his locker, a small frown etched between his brows, “I don’t care that she likes him, she can like anyone.  All I’m mad about is that she didn’t even tell us.  We’re her best friends; we should at least be able to know something as important as this.”

“I-” Liam started to say but then paused when he realised that Callum was right in a way.  He dropped his arms from their defensive stance, his head drooping along with it. 

“That’s unfair Callum,” Jasper murmured, his back remaining on the lockers that he leaned against. 

“It isn’t!  She’s-” Callum started to argue, turning a heated glare towards Jasper.

“Our best friend,” Jasper cut in, “There have been things that you have also kept a secret that we’ve ended up finding out from someone else rather than your own mouth.  Carly has a right to keep some things from us, just like Liam kept the fact that he likes Marissa-” Liam snapped his head up, his eyes widening, his mouth hung open in horror, his hand clutching onto his shirt right above where his heart was beating erratically and his skin colour paled, “-from us.  Don’t blow this out of proportion because Carly will get upset and none of us want that to happen.”

Callum dropped the glare he was impaling Jasper with and slumped dejectedly, “You’re right,” He admitted.

“Of course I am,” Jasper snorted, turning his nose up in a superior manner.

“You don’t have to sound so smug,” Callum growled, his eyes slitting dangerously.

“How did you guys know?”  Liam squeaked, pulling at his hair.

“Huh?” Callum asked, frowning at his distressed friend.

“How did you know I liked Marissa?!”  He shouted as a furious blush covered his cheeks.

“How could we not?” Jasper retaliated, leaning his arm on Liam’s head and bending down so that he could look at him from the side, “You do nothing but stare at her like some love sick puppy.”

Liam cried out and buried his face in his hands, covering the scorching blush on his face, “So blunt,” He moaned in despair.

“Hey guys?”  A deep voice called to their right.

All three males turned questioning eyes towards a hesitant soccer Captain.  He stood awkwardly next to the lockers his hand clutching onto his back pack. 

“What is it?”  Callum asked bluntly.

Jasper nudged Callum slightly sending him a meaningful look, “What’s up?”  Jasper asked stepping forward.

“Er, I was going to ask you guys on the first day she wasn’t here but it was so hectic trying to find a new goalie keeper so quickly in such a short space of time, that I didn’t have time to ask,” Elliot started, rubbing the back of his neck nervously, “But is Carly alright?  I mean I noticed she hasn’t been with you guys for over a weak now and I kind of got a bit worried.”

The three friends remained silent as they took in the small blush on Elliot’s face and the way he scuffed his foot bashfully onto the grimy school floors. 

“She’s ill,” Liam said quietly, “She’ll be back in a week or so.”

Callum nodded in approval, averting his eyes and clenching his jaw while Jasper crossed his arms, digging his nails into his flesh.  All three of them wanted to say something about his questions but they reeled in their hateful feelings and kept their mouths shut.