August 14th, 1800

Dear William,

Do you find yourself being envious of the poor? Perhaps it is just me. Keeping up with all of the social standards has become an undesirable and impossible task. Father insists that I find myself a wife. Ponder that! Your friend Levi, settled down with some dame. I cannot imagine that any woman would be suitable for a lifetime.

Amelia, on the other hand, cannot get enough of the social qualms. She would have a suitor begging at her feet every day if she could. She's planning a party to welcome our parents back from their trip to New York. What a foolish idea! Father is positively ill! Why on Earth would he want a party at this moment?

Well, I ventured into the kitchen this morning to find Amelia discussing the importance of silks with our kitchen hand, Rebecca.

"Afternoon sister," I said upon arrival.

"Mr. Esterman, can we expect an appearance from you this weekend?" Rebecca queried.

I responded, "Father will positively demand it."

"As he should," Amelia interjected.

"However," I began, "I would rather be set adrift in the thunderous oceans left to die."

Amelia did not take kindly to this statement. I don't know about you, William, but I find life more enjoyable if I make my opinions on certain matters quite clear.

"How exactly do you expect to meet your future wife?" Amelia questioned.

"I don't."

"Do you not want children?" 

"Do my desires truly interest you?" I retorted.

"Very much so."

"Then I will keep them to myself?" And that I did. Why bother explaining myself when she only cares for our family name, not my happiness.

At that point, Rebecca jumped into the conversation, "The Miss is right, sir. You're expected to carry on the Esterman name."

"I have never been fond of expectations," I responded.

"Do they not define us?" Amelia asked.

"It appears they often do." With that, I said "good day" and left for the town.

Maine is such a beautiful state William, you must come to visit it someday. However, that's beside the point. You are of course aware of my political interests. I have found myself a group of men to discuss with. We meet at a tavern in Kittery each week.

On my way through Main street, I passed a crazed protestor.

"Curse the federalists!" he yelled. "Don't let yourselves be trapped by Britain once more!"

I wonder how many minds he changes with this tactic.

"A large federal government infringes upon our newly founded rights! Curse the federalists!"
Probably very few.

In the tavern was a group of 5 or so men. Jonathan, Eric, Daniel, and Henry. As well as a rather mysterious bloke. He seemed young. His clothes were far too big for him. His hat even covered half of his face. He didn't talk, he just stood at the back of the room, leaning against the wall, watching.

Henry began the meeting.

"The election of 1800 will be telling," he said. "Will the American people continue to support the federalists or will we usher in a new presidency? Thoughts?"

Jonathan was the first to answer. "The Southern Democratic-Republicans make some valuable points. We should not put all of our eggs in one basket. Instead, we should spread them amongst the states."

"Why spread our power?" Eric chimed in. "How can we train up so many people to use it? We should simply rely on a small few instead of the many."

Both made fascinating points. I haven't a point of view on the issue yet.

Jonathan replied, "Do you not want to see yourself represented?"

"You cannot convince me that life wasn't easier when we didn't have to discuss politics," Eric said.

"Then why are you here?" I wondered.

"So you would rather have no responsibility?" Jonathan pressed.

And what a responsibility it is, William. We have the power to influence the leaders of our country. Something that not even our parents could do when they were our age.

Daniel then spoke up for the first time.

"I want Washington back."

"We can't bring anyone back from the grave, Daniel," Henry clarified.

"Adams and the federalists seek to hold all of the power for themselves!" Daniel suddenly shouted. "They're corrupt! All of them!"

"I'm a federalist!" Eric said.

To which Daniel simply replied, "I do not withdrawal my previous statement."

"You democratic-republicans don't want to see the country brought together. It's easier to have power when it's all torn apart!"

After Eric yelled that, arguments irrupted. Unlike anything I've ever seen before. And that's when it happened. The boy, who had remained quiet to that point, shut every one of them up.

"Do you not hear yourselves?" he said. "You're tearing each other apart! This is exactly what Washington warned us about in his farewell address. Do we not all belong to the same country?"

I scanned the room. Everyone was frozen, watching the boy.

"Debate is acceptable and needed," he continued. "However, attacks on character are unwarranted, they help no one."

And with that, he leaned back against the wall with his arms crossed.

This boy intrigued me. Wisdom beyond his age.

After the meeting, I attempted to catch him, to ask his name. Alas, he avoided all of my advancements and disappeared into the streets.

How the sun rises and falls in our new nation. It is one in a million that we would be born at this time. Just think of it. How lucky are we to witness history?

Amelia only sets her mind on insignificant matters. Perhaps I should entertain her in her pursuits. If that is what it will take to hush her or possibly open her eyes to the happenings around her. What do you think?

Your Friend,

Levi Esterman