42

"Aedan."

"What now?" I grumbled into the phone, staring at my work screen. After a week of babying Sterling, I thought I could finally retreat in peace to work for one day.

Of course not.

He had called me six times in the past twenty three minutes, I should really switch off my phone.

"I can't find my tie."

"Sterling, what did I tell you?" I asked as I flipped through all the documents I had to sign on my desk. God damn it, why were my staff so efficient while I wasn't in the office. I didn't think I would have to work home for 5 days but I did, and now I was in on a Sunday trying to get this shit sorted.

"You said it was in the closet."

"Yes, so have you looked in the closet?" I asked.

"Well, depends you didn't specify which one so yes I looked in the kitchen closet."

"That's called a cupboard or pantry," I grumbled. I sighed grabbing the phone that was resting between my ear and shoulder as I went through the paper.

"I swear to god Sterling I'll be back in an hour if you aren't ready by then I will kick your sorry arse down the stairs."

"But I'm injured."

"I don't care. You know we have to be there by 6 or else my dad will kill us," I told him, as I opened the draw looking straight at an envelope. I could her him muttering something in the background and I pulled out the envelope, placing it in front of me.  

The divorce papers.

"But if you'll kill me then your dad can't kill me."

Sterling seemed to proud to say it as well, like he thought it was like the 'check mate' in a chess game. Well I had the final check mate move.

"Bye Sterling," He could deal with his own issues, and I hung up the call throwing my phone onto the desk. 

I pushed the massive pile of paperwork to the side opening the envelope looking at the documents Sterling had given me. I didn't even bother reading all the clauses, all I knew was perhaps I shouldn't rush into it. 

Maybe I was going to want it again in the future, but right now I didn't want it. I grabbed the documents chucking them into the bin under my desk. Things were going okay, so maybe I should try it out for a bit longer.

They might go south, pear shaped, might end up being a disaster but at least this time I'll have the satisfaction that I tried. I scanned the documents I would need for next week and organised the rest on my desk so people could come pick up their file.

The fact that only Duncan put his in a folder made me annoyed, all of them should be in a folder for confidentiality purposes. Yes, everyone had copies and access to any document but they shouldn't just be all shoved here on my desk. 

And that's why Duncan was better than the rest, he got the simple and difficult things right. I grabbed some spare folders, writing all the details on the front as well as the case owners name and placing them in alphabetical order on my desk.

I grabbed my keys locking all my workspaces and left it back at reception in case someone needed to get something. 

I took one last look at the room, it was now neat, organised and the folders were sitting perfectly waiting for collection tomorrow. Who the hell had a party on a Sunday, did my parents thing people didn't work on Mondays?

I grabbed the envelope addressed to me at the reception table, probably everyones leave I had to approve and rushed back downstairs. I had borrowed Sterling's much nicer car since mine was still being fixed. All they had left now was to tidy it up and I could pick it up on Wednesday.