29

I owed him an apology.

But I couldn't find him anywhere in the party, where the hell did he go and why weren't we hiding in that spot in the first space. I had replaced my champagne with water. I wasn't tipsy, and I wasn't drunk but apparently I had enough confidence to say what I wanted.

Or maybe I was just bottling up all the pent up frustration that I was now taking out on him. Either way, I maybe should have just kept that to myself than him.

What I was meaning to say was that I didn't want children, so it wouldn't matter if it was him or any other guy. But that definitley didn't come out the way I meant. 

"Oh Aedan, how are you going?"

My mission was halted as I ran into more of my parent's friends.

"Oh hello Thomas, how are you?" I greeted the elderly man. Even though he was just over righty, he was in his finest black suit, and his hair was dyed brown without a single grey hair. Thomas was always obsessed with appearances.

"Great, where is your husband?"

If only I knew.

"He's just taking a phone call" I lied, as my eyes roamed around the packed room trying to spot him. I had done three laps and I was pretty sure he wasn't here, instead I could list all the people I had run into and had forced conversations with.

This wasn't what I intended to be doing tonight. Maybe I should just get an Uber and bail out, perhaps he did the same?

"Tell him I need to speak to him."

"Sure." I said, excusing myself when Thomas grabbed my arm halting me.

"Tell him I'm still waiting for the painting to arrive."

"Painting?" I asked.

"Yes he promised me he would get me a painting of a bat."

"Uh yeah...sure. I'll tell him Thomas." I said, this time telling him I really had to go and rushing off before he could respond.

I finally found Sterling, loitering in my father's office. He had his legs propped up on the window seal as he was sitting in one of the spare chairs.

My father's office was more like a mini library, books everywhere, most of them unread and unopened that came with the house. I was pretty sure they only had this room so it impressed guests.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I closed the door behind me.

Sterling barely looked up from his phone, ignoring my presence as I approached him.

I didn't blame him, I would be ignoring me too. 

"Are you pissed at me?"

"I feel like that would a waste of an emotion to feel." Sterling muttered, still focused on whatever game he was playing on his phone.

"I didn't mean it, it just came out a bit harsher than I intended you know."  I said, walking around him and sitting on the window seal. He was still avoiding my gaze.

"I meant that I wouldn't want kids with anyone, so it didn't matter if you were the last person on earth I still wouldn't want kids with you."

Sterling looked up, his eyebrows slightly raised, "Is this your way of making things better?"

Was I not doing a good job?

"I was just annoyed, wouldn't you be if people kept asking you the same thing. You wouldn't get it anyway, you're a guy.  You don't have to deal with the things females deal with." I muttered. Maybe if guys got asked if they were pregnant every five seconds they would get it, or maybe not.