33

"So where are we going now?" I asked as I followed Sterling into the carpark. "are we going to another one of those fancy places? I don't think I'm dressed for it." I said looking down at my outfit.

I clicked my seat belt into place as I turned to look at Sterling. He was certainly dressed a bit better than me so he could get away with it. Besides not many people look at what he was wearing, they were too fixated on that face of his. 

"No we're not going to those fancy places." he said starting the car. 

"Oh really?" I asked, "That's your favourite though." I said, and there was nothing wrong with it. I guess Sterling was creative enough to appreciate the food that was placed like art in front of him, whilst I was too busy thinking that for $30 a plate I could have gotten about four big pizzas.

"But it's not your favourite. If I'm taking you to dinner I won't take you to my favourite place, I'll take you to yours." He said.

"So where are we going then?" I asked trying to think of my favourite.

"Well actually it's not your favourite either." Sterling said throwing me a sheepish look, "I thought it might be fun to try."

"What is it?"

"I got some free tickets to this cook with us type of session, you learn some recipes and you make it and then you eat it after. The best part is its BYO so worst case we can get drunk."

"Cooking class?"  I asked confused.

"Before you think I'm only taking you cause it's free tickets, I could have given these to the others but I thought we could try it." he said.

To be fair I wasn't thinking that, but now that he mentioned it...

"What are we cooking?" I asked. 

"It's Spanish, so its a three hours session." Sterling said, casting me another look.

"Three hours?" I asked, "I'm going to starve by then." I slouched slightly in my chair, and almost like on cue, my tummy grumbled.

"That's why I brought this," Sterling grabbed something from the compartment next to him, chucking me a packet of chips.

"Life saver." I said as I opened them  up.

They weren't filling but they were good enough to shut my stomach up on the half an hour drive.

We had finally arrived at a shopfront, that looked like an old house. There were lights on and we could see people surrounded around a table chatting away.

"Are we late?" I asked.

"Not really, we've got five minutes." Sterling hopped out of the car and I grabbed my laptop and bags to chuck into the boot, and he grabbed what looked like wine and cider.

"That's a lot." I said seeing him place them all into a reusable bag. Surely four wine bottles were too much?

"It's three hours to survive." Sterling sighed, almost like he was changing his mind. We headed inside, introducing ourself to everyone else there including the very exuberant host. 

We were all broken into random smaller groups and assigned different bench tops with recipes. We were meant to follow them, along with the host as she went through what we were making and the heritage of it.

We were stuck with two teenage girls who brought vodka as their choice of BYO, I guess people really went hard at these events, as well as an elderly couple who took so long to take a sip I thought an hour had gone by. 

"We'll start by making Pinchos with pork belly, green chilli & lemon zest, first grab your-," 

It didn't matter if it was a three hour course and she was going slow, we were way behind.