Chapter 28

Sterling was avoiding me.

Perhaps I couldn't use the word avoiding when it was only twenty four hours since he had handed me the signed papers that were now by my bedside cabinet. 

All I had to do was sign it once I got the approval form my lawyer.

I placed my necklace on as I glanced at the bedroom door, which I had left open.

I still couldn't hear if Sterling was getting ready for the party or not? Did he manage to get out of it? With the four calls I had gotten all morning while I was at work, I had to leave early just so I could send picture proof to my dad that I was getting ready to come.

I slipped into my heels and grabbed my bag, shoving my phone and my iPad into it, just in case I could escape into a bedroom to do some work when the party got too busy. 

I just really hoped my dad wasn't going to make us socialise and chat with all his friends, the man was way too popular for his own good.

I headed downstairs to see Sterling sitting on the chair, half leaned over to tie the thin black laces on his suit shoes. I guess he didn't manage to get out of this either and judging by the frown on his face, he didn't seem to happy either.

"The car is waiting outside," He muttered as he stood up, grabbing his black suit jacket from the seat next to him, throwing it over his tight fitted light silver shirt, close enough to be white, but coloured enough to be slightly different. 

Sterling always found a way to be a little bit different and I almost wished I had his confidence.

He looked up, the frown only deepening when he saw me as he headed past me through the front door and I followed, locking the house up.

Was he annoyed about me, or was he annoyed about attending this party. I tugged the ends of my jacket tighter as I rushed into the awaiting car that my parents sent, one way to make sure we couldn't leave whenever we wanted.

The air was absolutely freezing and I felt my body temperature drop by the time I walked down the steps to the car, you could thank Melbourne's ever changing cold weather for that. 

The car ride was forty minutes, and each minute felt longer than the one before when there was nothing but pure silence in the car. It was generally quiet but this time the quiet felt different. I was too hesitant to look at him next to me, he was focused on his phone and I was focused looking out the window.

The moment the car stopped, both of us were out in seconds but then realised that we were going into a night of hell, parties hosted by our parents. As we walked from the car to the front door, we automatically started walking closer together till our arms were practically brushed as we entered through the front step.

It was a performance that was perfected too well.

"About time!" 

I silently sighed as my father approached us.

"It was your car that was late." I told him when he was commenting on how late we were, "Maybe if you let us drive ourselves here we would be on time."

Sure enough the party was on full swing behind, even though my view was blocked by the big oak doors, I could hear the noise and clatter that was coming from the banquet hall my parents specifically designed for this house to have when it was built.

They were entertainers, and proud. 

"Never mind, you're here now. Aunty Rosa is here and is looking for you."

On cue bother Sterling and I groaned, "What a wench, how is she still alive?" Sterling muttered and I tried not to laugh. 

"Quickly, give me your coats I'll put them away."