Guilt from the past

Just last night we had set up camp in a nearby forest ready to sleep for the night. I haven't told anyone but I've been having trouble sleeping. It's been nightmares constantly.

I lay down my head on my pillow and fall asleep.
________________________________

"You could have saved me."
"Why didn't you save me."

"I'm sorry I'm sorry saki! I'm sorry I couldn't save you! I'm sorry I couldn't get to you on time!" I cry to the ghost hovering above me.

"You are not my friend. You let me die. You let me die whilst you just stood there frozen!" Ghost saki says. "I'm going to show you what it felt like."

All of a sudden I'm back by the sidewalk with saki, talking about our annoying brothers. We stop and look at the road.

"Let's go!" Saki says as a car comes speeding towards us and she walks onto the road.

"Saki no!" I cry out but she doesn't die like what happened. Instead she appears behind me and pushes me onto the road with a laugh.

"Now you get to see what it was like for me!" She cackles

My entire body freezes as a car comes charging towards me. Then all I see is black.

________________________________

I wake up screaming and panting.

"What's wrong?!" Sokka shouts "are you okay Aya?"

"Y-yeah I'm fine." I say

"You don't look fine." Katara and Aang look at me with concerned faces.

"I said I'm fine!" I shout. Silence falls on us.
"I'm sorry, it was just a nightmare, go back to sleep." I say, calmer now.

Reluctantly they all put their heads down and fall back asleep quickly. I breath out a quiet sigh of relief. Then I lay my head down and try to get back to sleep.

I wake up yet again from a nightmare. I decide that there's no point trying to sleep if I only wake up to nightmares. So I slowly stand up and walk away from the group, trying not to make a sound.

I walk into the forest where I see a small lake and a moss covered rock. I stand in between the rock and the lake focusing my attention on the rock. How did they do it again? I think they stamped their foot and punched their fist.

I take a deep breath before positioning into a made up stance I hope will do. I close my eyes and stamp my foot willing it to work. I slowly open my eyes preparing for disappointment. But to my surprise a rock is hovering in the air. Before I do something stupid I punch at the rock and watch as it flies into a tree.

I leap around for a bit so happy I'm earth bending. Then I get and idea to try airbending. I search into the back of my brain for an airbending scroll I once looked at on Google. I get into the stance from the scroll and lean forward to push a blast of air. Again, it works! Yes! I'm a water earth and air bender, I also managed to hold fire a few days ago. I feel happy for the first time since saki died.

I practice for a little while longer, I think I'm beginning to get the hang of earth bending. But by now I'm sweating my head off so I put on my swimming clothes that Katara gave me and dive into the cool waters.

I swim around lazily for a while before I get too cold and jump out. I start to dry myself and put on some clothes before a song saki and I used to sing to each other pops into my head and tears form at the corner of my eyes.

I sit down on the soft green grass and begin to sing.

"But if the world was ending

You'd come over, right?

You'd come over and you'd stay the night

Would you love me for the hell of it?

All our fears would be irrelevant

If the world was ending

You'd come over, right?

The sky'd be falling and I'd hold you tight

And there wouldn't be a reason why

We would even have to say goodbye

If the world was ending

You'd come over, right?

Right?

If the world was ending

You'd come over, right?

Right?" My tears now flow freely as I remember the last time we sung it. Just a few minutes before the accident.

Then I hear a rustle in the trees.

"Come out! Come out coward!" I shout and Aang appears looking sheepish.
"Oh it's just you, what are you doing out here?" I ask him whilst he sits next to me.

"I heard someone singing so I followed the sound and it lead me to you." He explained

"Oh yeah, that was me I guess." I say as I look away from him, I don't want him to see my tear stained face.

"Are you ok? You'd sounded pretty sad and it sounded like you were crying." He asks

"Y-yeah I'm fine." I say and try a smile but tears pour down.

Aang looks shocked and pulls me into a tight hug. "No, you're not okay. You wanna talk about it?" He says once we stop hugging.

I think about it for a second. I guess I can trust Aang. I take a deep breath and try to stop crying.

"I-I lost my b-best friend recently." I admit quietly. "She died right infront of me and I couldn't help her! It's all my fault! I keep having nightmares where she tells me it's my fault and she'll never forgive me. Maybe it really is my fault..."

"Of course it's not your fault! Don't blame yourself! What.. happened?" He says comfortingly.

"W-we were walking home from school and she walked right out onto a road infront of a car. I didn't try to stop her, I just stood there frozen. Maybe if I wasn't frozen I could have saved her!" I cry into my hands.

Aang pulls me into another hug. "Of course it wasn't your fault. There was nothing you could do. I'm sure wherever she is now, she's watching over you." He whispers in my ear.

His comforting words help me stop crying and I look at him gratefully. "Thank you Aang."

We stay there for a while longer watching the sun go down. Even if I never go back, I think I'll be happier from now on.

________________________________

Awww this one's a real tear bender. I just want to say I don't own avatar the last airbender or the song. Both belong to the original creators.