Chapter 9

Later that evening, after Clarissa has danced all her dances with friends and relatives, she chooses to re-join her sister. Victor had been keeping Catherine company, as well as a few friends, but they soon vanished for the card tables. Clarissa picks up two glasses of champagne before she walks over to her sister. She keeps them in her steady hands as she weaves through the crowd. 

Suddenly she becomes stuck in the middle of a tight throng with no way through. She has to pause where she is and she catches a few threads of conversation from the people she has her back to. 

"Please do it for me." Samuel says, "It will only be for one dance I promise."

His friend tuts, annoyed, "I am expected to tolerate meaningless and empty conversation with a complete stranger for more than three minutes while you waltz around the room with some less than attractive wench who speaks Latin?"

"Oh come on old friend, you make it sound like I am asking you to take a sword for me," Samuel says with a laugh.

"I pick the sword, this will be twice as painful." The stranger replies, deadpan.

"If you are lucky she won't say a word...." Samuels's words are lost as Clarissa's path clears and she can pass. She walks back to her sister, an amused expression on her face.

"How was your dancing?" Catherine asks, accepting the glass. "You were gone for a long time...." She notices her bemused grin, "What happened? What have you done?" 

"What do you think of Samuel?" Clarissa asks, her back to the two men, she glances behind. Samuel is still trying to convince his blonde companion. 

"He has some interesting views on way to boost our economy through the expansion of..." Catherine starts to say but she is promptly cut off. 

"Never mind that, would you dance with him?"

"Dance with him? I haven't thought much on the idea." Catherine replies, confused. "Why do you ask?" 

"Well I would potentially think on it rather promptly," Clarissa says, stepping to her sister's side, giving her a clear view of the two men. 

"What? Why..." Catherine trails off as Samuel approaches. The arrogant stranger walks behind, 

"Oh god." Clarissa hears Catherine breathe.

As Samuel and his friend draw level with them Catherine and Clarissa both curtsey and the men bow their head in return, however, the blonde seems reluctant to show any kind of respect. He looks the girls once over, his eyes catch Clarissa's but she quickly looks away. Samuel seems rather flustered as he addresses them.

"Miss Catherine, Miss Clarissa...." He begins, "Are you enjoying the eve?"

Clarissa waits for her sister to answer but Catherine is tongue-tied, a frown on her face. Clarissa dives in and rescues her. 

"It is a beautiful ball. I must remember to thank your mother before I leave." She says quickly, using her foot to nudge her sister in the heel. Catherine blinks. 

"Yes," She agrees, "Breath-taking," She looks around for a talking point and her eyes fall on the platform, "The orchestra is second to none."

"I agree." Samuel says enthusiastically, he then looks embarrassed, "If you like the music so much, would you care to dance to it?"

 Catherine immediately looks down into her drink, her cheeks slightly rosy. There is a strange moment of quiet until she shoves her drink into Clarissa's hand and takes the arm Samuel is offering to her.

"Sounds delightful." She says. Samuel beams and escorts her onto the dance floor leaving Clarissa to stand with the silent man. The music starts to play and Catherine and Samuel dance around the room, they both seem to be tense at first, but as they ease into the number they begin to look more relaxed. Clarissa puts the champagne onto a passing waiters tray.