The beginning of the end

Start from the beginning

Falling through the sky light into the dark, musty warehouse below. No going back now he told himself bracing himself for his landing. His eyes were tight shut as he landed, crouched, on the stone floor. His landing was lighter than he hoped, he was hoping for a hard landing that would cause him enough pain to snap him out of his pure terror.

But the landing did nothing to ease his mind.

Looking up his eyes wandered around the room taking in every detail and examining every shadow searching for the silhouette of the man who haunted his life. A smell of metal almost like iron made his hairs stand on end. He recognised that smell, how couldn't he recognise it when he had been smelling it every where he went from the day his parents died.

Blood.

"I know your here" Robin announced harshly, slightly surprised about how calm his voice sounded when in fact calm was definitely not a word he would use to describe himself right now.

What Robin said was a lie, he had no clue whether Slade was in the room he had studied every shadow and no bright orange and black man was to be seen. Although he did have the feeling of being watch, he felt his skin tingling though no matter how many times he studied the room, he was sure no one was there. The only thing telling him he wasn't alone was the lingering feeling of eyes bearing at his figure.

"We don't have time for your mind games Slade" he growled spinning his body around focusing his vision harder on the shadows, he must be residing in one of them, he told himself.

"I disagree" a voice from Robins right sneered making Robin whirl around and stare into a shadow he had acknowledged several times "we have all the time in the world"

Two figures emerged from the darkness, blending in so well that Robin only managed to see them when they were completely out of the shadows and under the shabby light which hung above there heads.

The first figure was the tall, buff menacing figure of Deathstroke the terminator the man who had made Dick Grayson's life a living nightmare since he was eleven, the world class mercenary to whom alluded the league on many occasions. As he stepped out of the shadows Robin was eerily reminded of the first time he had ever laid eyes on the man, when he last stepped out of the shadows in this very warehouse and when Dick was blissfully unaware of the horrors this man would cause him.

The second figure was on the edge of unconsciousness, only remaining standing by the strong hand pulling at his collar keeping him upright. His face was bloody and beaten, one of his eyes swollen so much Robin doubted he could see, blood splattering his face and his once neat clothing to which was also torn in straight lines that looked like whip marks. He attempted to squirm under the grip of the mercenary but to no avail as the stronger man clutch his fist tighter around the collar of his shirt.

Spotting his brother he tried to shake his head at him, he tried to open his mouth to tell him to leave, to tell him to stop being such a sacrificial bastard and save himself.
But no words came out of his mouth, only blood.

"Tim" Robin breathed out desperately his eyes not moving from his brother trying to access his injuries.

"He'll survive" Slade announced coldly ripping of his mask to show his cold face and a small sadistic smirk rested on his ageing face.

"Or maybe he won't" he mocked, an overwhelming air of confidence surrounding his composure "that's up to you"

"I'm pretty sure you know my response, considering I'm here" Robin declared his voice still as calm as before.

"Good" Slade announced tightening his grip on Tim before throwing him forward towards Dick. Tim yelped as he hit the ground at Robins feet.

"Timmy" Dick whispered kneeling down to his brother helping him into a sitting position as Tim spat more blood onto the floor enhancing the metallic smell.

"Dick" he groaned out falling into Dicks side as Dick placed his arm around him.

"Your going to be okay Timmy" he soothed rubbing his hand down back "and I wish I could stay to see you get better" he smiled voice cracking on the word stay.

"No" Tim breathe out his voice desperate and broken as he fought to stay conscious.

"Tell Jason and Dami I love them" Dick pleaded a few droplets of tears forming in his eyes, waves of sadness blurring his vision.

"Please" Tim stuttered out, pleading engraved on his worn out face.

"And tell dad I'm sorry" Dick whimpering trying to remain strong for his brother but how could he be strong when he was probably never going to see him again. He felt hollow, just bitter hollowness.

He got to his feet slowly, Tim making a bitter desperate attempt to cling to his ankles but in his weakened state this did nothing but cause more pain to Dick.

He slowly removed his belt, pressing the emergency button as he did so that Bruce would know where to find Tim and placed it gently next to the boy.
"I'm sorry" he whispered as Tim gave him one last pleaded stare before finally succumbing to the unconsciousness that had been calling him all this time.

Dick gently caught his brothers head before it hit the ground, stroking his cheek as a tear finally fell landing on his brothers broken face.

"Well wasn't that bittersweet" the mercenary jeered, Dick standing up to face the man with pure hatred rested on his face.

And then he took his place at his side.