First Snoggletog

(set at the end of Book 3 but before the last chapter)

Warning : Mpreg, depiction of delivery. Don't like, don't read.

Snoggletog. Since its invention, the tradition had a very precious place in the vikings' heart. It was a shining light during the worst part of winter, when the temperatures were so freezing it was getting dangerous to step outside of their house.

The Hairy Hooligans still remembered the merciless weather from former-Berk during this time of the year. The freezing wind and the sea spray covering every corner of the island and the village with a thin layer of ice. Every time stalactites would form, they would always bend on the side because of the wind. Vikings used to be tough and stubborn, they could handle each winter with only a few complains.

The first Snoggletog they had celebrated with dragons had been very special, and they had no doubts the upcoming one would be as well. Because it was the first Snoggletog they'd celebrate on their brand new paradise island, New Berk. More than ever, the holidays preparations were causing the commotion. Between decorating the houses and streets, preparing the feast – earning countless cooking experiments along with delicious smells in the streets – the choral rehearsals, people searching for gifts... one could say it was crazy.

And Hiccup realized it once again, just like every years since he had become chief. He already had had to supervise the preparations of three Snoggletog,and the fourth one seemed even more chaotic. He had to manage the building of the giant Snoggletog tree on the center place of the village, manage the building of fortifications to avoid ice damages to the docks as well as avalanches on the higher parts of the berkian isle, manage the repairing of the damages caused by the Thorston twins' pranks, pacify some arguing between neighbours who were ready to gut each other just to know who had the most beautiful Snoggletog decorations...

Despite having Astrid, Elska, Gobber, Eret and Fishlegs to assist him, Hiccup was exhausted as nighttime came. Usually, he would have enjoy his evenings relaxing with the good care of his husband, unfortunately Joke was not in his best shape either lately. The pregnancy was nearing its term and it was becoming difficult for the young man.

When Hiccup came home after a long day of work, he would find his beloved already fast asleep, or in the living-room with a patient since he didn't have the strength anymore to walk to the healer hutt, or sometimes he wouldn't find him at all since the white-haired young man was sleeping in the spare bed at the shed, too exhausted to walk back home even with Elska's assistance.

Granted Joke was pregnant, but that didn't mean he was giving up his healer duty, he was just making sure not to overwork himself. Despite his own condition, he was still thinking of others first, it was filling the young chief with both pride and worry. One could say Hiccup had become a bit paranoid since Kosmozis had almost taken Joke away, but actually it was only the auburnet's already present protectiveness that had increased. Hiccup had always felt the urge to protect those he wared for, and there was no doubts Joke and their baby were the most precious ones to him.

The first nigth Joke had not come back home, the chief had panicked and searched the whole village to find his husband fast asleep at the shed. Luckily, Snoggletog preparations kept him busy and were distracting him a bit, and the fact that Olgarg and Reekfrid promised him to keep an eye on their son managed to calm him, especially because he knew his in-laws would keep their word.

Still the past week had been very exhausting for both Haddock-Storm, so Hiccup couldn't be more happy when Snoggletog's eve finally came, and preparations were replaced by actual celebrations. Just like every year, vikings gathered for a giant feast in early evening, where the party began for all the villagers as well as the dragons that decided to join them. Then, later in the night, they would all come back home and keep on celebrating in family or with friends, exchanging gifts and traditional stories next to the fireplace.