Magnificat - A Nursery Fit for a King?

Miryam breathed in and out slowly. The contractions, though not very painful, were coming very close together. Hadassah stayed with her as Yosef found a wagon for Miryam to ride on.

"I thought I had a day or two more before the baby came. OOOH!" Miryam said with a breath.

"Well, my friend, babes have a way of coming on their own timing without ever asking if the mother is ready. Take a deep breath."

"Miryam, come ride on Yacov's wagon. There is hay and we'll be in Beyit Lechem soon. Are you okay?"

"Yes, Yosef. I'm just having a baby and... huuuh." She stopped and took a deep breath in suddenly. Yacov's wife was there to help her, at least to the gate. They would be staying with family, as were Ezra and Hadassah. Miryam and Yosef didn't have family residing in the town, so they would have to find an inn somewhere to stay. Hopefully the lady of the house would help her in the birth. Otherwise, poor dear Yosef would be the only one.

* * * * * * * * * *

Finally they approached the city gates, along with a swarm of other travelers. Yosef looked at his laboring wife.

“We’re here.” He smiled with hope.

“Yes. We made it.” She breathed out.

Hadassah and Ezra stayed with her while Yosef went to find an inn.

“My apologies, sir, but we are full to the brim. A babe should not be born here. Go to Manasseh four doors down. He had room last night. Maybe your wife will be able to lodge there.”

“My thanks. Shalom.” Yosef replied.

He hurried to Miryam, now seated again on the donkey, and breathing deeply.

“There may be a place for us. I will be a few more minutes.” Placing his hands on her abdomen, he said “Hold on, wee one. You will have a birthplace soon.”

A few minutes passed, and he returned shaking his head. “I’m sorry. There’s nothing.” He looked concerned, and sullen.

“Yosef.” Miryam spoke softly, gracefully. “YHWH will provide, as he always has. Take a deep breath and pray.”

Before he uttered another word, an elderly woman hobbled as fast as she could up to Miryam, favoring one leg and walking as if her back was bothering her. “I have heard of your plight, dear girl, and I have a humble place for you to lodge. I hope you like animals.”

Miryam smiled, curious as to the woman’s meaning.

“It’s a stable. Look for a stone-hewn, not wooden, building just on the other side of town. It’s quaint, but there’s plenty of fresh hay and straw for the donkey. Will you need help?”

Yosef nodded, looking nervous. “Yes, please. This is our first child.”

“Very well. I will be along to help you as soon as my husband has his supper. The Lord bless you.” And she walked away as oddly as she’d come.

Ezra looked pitifully at Yosef. “Sorry, friend. If our relatives weren’t already packed to the gills...”

Yosef put a hand up. “YHWH’s will be done. Thank you for all of your help along the journey, Hadassah.”

“I’m glad she will have help. Shalom. May the Lord bless you and keep you.” They walked on towards their destination, leaving Yosef and Miryam to ponder the strange events unfolding before their eyes.

“Come, love, let’s get you there and comfortable. He’s coming.” Yosef kissed her hand and walked through the city bulging at the seams with people.

* * * * * * * * *

The stable was simple to find. For a small edifice on the outside, it was very roomy inside. The animals were well cared for, and there wasn’t much stench to the place. Yosef breathed a prayer of thanks as he helped his wife down and put the donkey into a stall.

“This is a strange birthplace for a king, Yosef. These are humble beginnings for the Holy One of Israel. Blessed be the name of the Lord.”