Magnificat - Journey

Yosef had planned to travel with others going towards Beyit Lechem. Traveling in numbers was always safer when going a long distance and the safety of his very pregnant wife was at the forefront of his mind. He didn’t like the idea of her being so close to delivery and traveling so far. The journey, for a healthy man, was about three to four days on foot. On horseback, it was slightly faster. Traveling with a wife ready to deliver meant it could possibly double their time. He walked inside to check on her. She was readying bread and other foods to take on the journey.

He found her sitting on a cushion eating a pomegranate. “Are you doing well, love? The food smells delicious.”

“I’m wonderful. Are you hungry? I have some meats and bread ready.” She went to stand, but had trouble, and rocked a few times trying. She huffed, and Yosef, trying not to laugh, offered to help her stand. She let out a laugh, which set him to laughing as well.

“I’m a funny sight, for sure. I look like a cow trying to roll over.” She laughed harder, and then the baby kicked again. “Oh! Wee one, you are a strong boy!”

“You don’t look anything like a cow. But, you are rather beautiful, Miryam!” He put an arm under each of hers and slowly helped her to rise from the floor. When she finally stood facing him, he embraced her, placing a hand on her protruding middle. “And this one, he is a miracle.” Yosef cupped her face with one hand and then kissed his wife before walking back outside to finish packing the donkey.

Miryam packed the food into a bag, and the wine pouches into another. She made sure Yosef had two more cloaks and robes, as well as cloths for the baby when he came. She knew he would be born while they were there. The Holy Scriptures and Prophecies said it would be so. She pressed her hand to her belly and breathed a prayer of strength. The babe in her womb responded with a hard kick to her hand. She laughed out loud.

* * * * * * * * * *

When all was finished in preparation, Miryam and Yosef went to her father’s house to kiss them goodbye. They knew as well that her time would be completed while in Beyit Lechem.

Anna cried when she saw her daughter. “Blessed are you among women! I’m glad you are traveling in company. You will need a woman’s help when the time comes.”

Miryam nodded. “The Lord is YHWH-yireh: God is my provider. He will make a way. He has not brought us this far to abandon us now. Have faith, Mamma.”

“I do have faith. I’m also a mother. Having faith and concern are both part of loving a child.” Anna chuckled, but didn’t voice her next thought: you will understand very soon what I mean, child.

Yehoyakim kissed his daughter’s cheek and blessed them before they left to join the traveling group. “May YHWH bless you and keep you. May YHWH make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. May YHWH lift his countenance upon you and give you peace.” With tears in his eyes, he kissed his daughter’s cheek, and then Yosef’s. He tried to stifle the sob in his throat, but to no avail.

Miryam wiped the tear that escaped. “Fear not, Abba. The Lord will protect us. He would not give us the promise and then let bad happen to us.”

“You are right, my child; so very right about all of this.” She gave one more kiss on the cheek for both parents before Yosef helped her up onto the donkey.

* * * * * * * * * *

The first day of travel was pleasant, and Miryam even walked with some of the other women off and on. Yosef made sure she stopped to rest and eat often.

“Miryam, you have a wonderful husband. He’s so caring. I wish my Ezra were that way at times.” Her friend, Hadassah exclaimed. “When I had Benyamin, he was happy, but not so attentive. Hopefully he will be better this time.” She stopped, realizing what she’d said. They had not made the announcement to family yet.

“Oh, Hadassah! What a wonderful thing! I will keep your secret,“ she promised her friend.

“Thank you. Ezra is very happy. Maybe Yosef can give him a few hints, huh?” She winked, hoping Miryam would take the hint.

“I’ll see what I can do. Yosef is a dream, chosen by the Lord, for sure. I am a very blessed woman. But now, I need to either stop, or sit on the donkey for a bit. This babe is strong and heavy. I feel like I have a very large rock that kicks pressing my insides.”

“Yes, it feels that way the last few weeks. I don’t think you have too much longer. You look lower than before. Are you starting to have pains?”

“Not really, but so much pressure. And I’m always needed to, you know? Go?”

Hadassah laughed. “Yes, and you will even after the babe’s born. Will someone be with you? Yosef won’t know what to do! Men rarely do.” They both giggled at that before Miryam called to her husband to help her.

* * * * * * * * * *

That evening, Yosef took Miryam into the nearby village. A family taking in strangers for the night was not uncommon. He was thankful for a place to rest, and his wife certainly needed to recline. They blessed the house upon entering, as was custom, and offered what little they had to offset the cost of the impromptu hospitality. Most of the people traveling were either camping or staying in neighboring houses. Those with small children preferred to.

Calev and Yehudit were more than happy to accommodate the young couple and their friends with the young boy. A meal was ready, as the travelers had stopped before sunset, and prayers were sung before twilight.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Yosef awoke Miryam at sunrise for prayers and breakfast. The group was set to leave afterwards. The day was warm already as the sun peaked over the horizon. She would need many breaks before the noon meal. He planned on making her ride most of the way. Yesterday’s walk was almost too much for her and he didn’t want her in pain.

Many hours later, they stopped again for the evening, but there were no villages near them. The men set up watch so the women and children could sleep soundly and feel safe.

The encampment was set in a circular form, with a fire in the center to keep out the chill of the night.

Miryam was resting, but could hear the wolves in the distance. She prayed for the men on watch during the night. She knew only a few more days and they would be there. Her heart was merry but her body was tired. With a large yawn, she snuggled next to Yosef and dozed into peaceful sleep.

* * * * * * * * * *

The last few days went much like the first few: traveling until just before sunset, and then staying with a kind family or camping with the other Nazarene travelers. Too many stops, it seemed, but all in all, the expectant couple was able to stay with or near the group. Hadassah came back and forth to help with Miryam’s needs, and Yosef, though wanting to travel talking with the other men, remained faithfully by his wife’s side.

Finally, they crested a hill.

“YOSEF! LOOK! It’s Beyit Lechem! We made it!” They were still an hour or two ouside of town, and from the top of the hill it looked to be so small. She smiled and Yosef caught the tear escaping. The excitement was too much. “OH!”

“It is beautiful! Let’s get there before dark and find an inn so you can rest.”

“OH! Oh! Wow!”

“I am excited too, love. We won’t be traveling much longer now.”

“NO, Yosef. You don’t understand. The baby..." She grabbed his upper arm, forcing him to look into her eyes. "He’s coming. Today.”