Christmas and Surprise Firebolts

Comenzar desde el principio

Ron ignored the question, "Don't bring him in here!" said Ron, hurriedly snatching Scabbers from the depths of his bed and stowing him in his pajama pocket. But Hermione wasn't listening. She dropped Crookshanks onto Seamus's empty bed and stared, open-mouthed, at a Firebolt.

"Oh, Harry, is that a Firebolt? I'd better tell my dad not to get one," Estella said.

"You were actually going to get one? Those are like 2,000 galleons, Stella!" Ron gasped, looking at her as though she was a stranger.

"Well, I wasn't going to, but my dad was," Estella said, recalling their conversation. Aspen had always felt guilty that he wasn't able to be involved in Harry's life. He'd often send money to the Dursleys, forcing them to spend it solely on Harry and some bills or receive nothing at all.

"Who gave it to you, Harry?" Hermione pressed. If her father didn't get him the broom, then the list of people that would've is quite short. Not to mention, it could've been sent to him with malicious intentions.

"Who cares?" replied Ron impatiently. "Listen, Harry, can I have a go on it? Can I?"

"I don't think anyone should ride that broom just yet!" said Hermione shrilly.

The three looked at her. Estella could see where this conversation was going. She hoped Mione would at least phrase it gently.

"What d'you think Harry's going to do with it-sweep the floor?" asked Ron.

But before Hermione could answer, Crookshanks sprang from Seamus's bed, right at Ron's chest.

"Get-him-out-of-here!" Ron bellowed as Crookshank's claws ripped his pajamas and Scabbers attempted a wild escape over his shoulder. Ron seized Scabbers by the tail and aimed a misjudged kick at Crookshanks that hit the trunk at the end of Harry's bed, knocking it over and causing Ron to hop up and down, howling in pain.

Estella held back a laugh and looked in the other direction. Leave it to Ron to do something that clumsy.

Crookshank's fur suddenly stood on end. A shrill, tinny whistling was filling the room. The Pocket Sneakoscope had become dislodged from Uncle Vernon's old socks and was whirling and gleaming on the floor.

"I forgot about that!" Harry said, bending down and picking up the Sneakoscope. "I never wear those socks if I can help it...."

The Sneakoscope whirled and whistled in his palm. Crookshanks was hissing and spitting at it.

Harry handed her an envelope.

"Hey, I thought we were done with the gift exchanging," Estella laughed as she began to open it. From Harry, she'd already received a Quidditch windbreaker with Harry's number, so she didn't have to keep stealing his, a bracelet with the charms of the things she most loved, and a box of peanut M&Ms.

Harry grinned as her eyes widened, "You didn't? How in the world-you didn't, Harry!" Estella leaped from the bed and squealed. Her hands held a signed copy and letter from the infamous Weird Sisters, Estella's all-time favorite band.

Her hands wrapped around his neck, "This is amazing. Oh, Merlin, Harry, thank you!" Harry returned the hug.

"You'd better take that cat out of here, Hermione," snapped Ron furiously, sitting on his bed nursing his toe. Breaking the quiet moment between the two."Can't you shut that thing up?" he added to Harry as Hermione and Estella strode out of the room.

At lunchtime, they went down to the Great Hall to find that the House tables had been moved against the walls again and that a single table, set for twelve, stood in the middle of the room. Professor Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape, Sprout, and Flitwick were there, along with Filch. There were only three other students, two extremely nervous-looking first years and a sullen-faced Slytherin fifth year.