4. A Murderous Break-In

Start from the beginning

    "No, you watch it!"

    "No, you—"

    "Boys.." Cassie muttered to herself, rolling her eyes as she headed off down the hallway.

     Cedric and Atticus stopped their bickering long enough to shout a synchronized "Bye, Cassie!" before returning to the argument at hand.

A FEW CRISP NIGHTS LATER, Cassie sat in the Gryffindor common room with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They'd been sitting in silence, the room otherwise empty, until a loud buzz of chatter exploded into the room and directed itself to the notice board. All four of the third years' heads swiveled toward the crowd.

    "What's happening?" Harry asked.

    "Looks like the first Hogsmeade weekend." Ron pointed to the notice board and, sure enough, Mcgonagall had just pinned up the statement. She scoffed at Oliver's Quidditch notice.

    "Excellent!" chimed Fred (at least, Cassie thought it was Fred—she could never fully tell the twins apart). The first twin collapsed onto the couch next to Ron and Cassie. "I need to visit Zonko's. I'm nearly out of stink pellets."

    They were still talking about Hogsmeade by lunch the next morning, and Harry's bright mood had dropped back to a slump. Cassie slid onto the bench next to him, trying to think of anything to say to comfort him.

    "I'm sure you'll be able to go at some point, Harry. They've got to catch Black eventually." Cassie frowned. "You could ask Mcgonagall if you can go this time; Black's already been spotted in Hogsmeade once, I doubt he's coming back in any hurry. Honestly, we could probably sneak you out, if we tried hard enough—"

    "Cassie!" Hermione hissed. Apparently, she'd been listening, and didn't approve of Cassie's rule-breaking plan. "Harry can't leave the castle. It's for his own safety!"

    "He can't be the only third year left behind!"

    "And he won't be."

    Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Cassie all turned their heads to face Remus, who'd walked up behind them, unannounced. His lips were tightly downturned in his best impersonation of a frown.

"What d'you mean?" Ron asked, his words muffled around the mashed potatoes in his mouth. Hermione cringed.

    "I'm afraid Cassie is going to have to stay back, too."

     Cassie sputtered in disbelief, standing from the table. "How on Earth is that fair? Just because Harry's being chased by a murderer—of course, no offense, Harry—

    "None taken," Harry said quickly.

    "I'm sorry, Cassie," Remus tried to reason. "I know it's unfair."

     She just glared at him. "Why don't you want me to have any fun?"

    He frowned, clearly hurt. "What? Of—of course I want you to have fun—"

    "Then act like it! Let me go to Hogsmeade, like a normal third year! Again—no offense, Harry!"

    Harry shrugged.