44. An Odd Reunion

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR;

AN ODD REUNION

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Dear Miss Black,

As of July seventh, nineteen ninety-five, at six thirty-nine in the morning, an anonymous letter arrived at the Ministry via owl and delivered your true identity to the authorities. It has now been brought to our attention that you are the eldest and only daughter to notorious serial killer and Azkaban escapee, Sirius Black. This has proved to be potentially problematic.

If you are aware of any whereabouts of your father and/or you are/have been in contact with him, we urge you to reach out to us via return address.

We offer our regards over the death of Cedric A. Diggory and hope you will take into consideration our apology due to our quietness on this matter; we are not in need of letters flooding through the floo system and demanding we tell them the whole story.

Signed sincerely,
Bernadette S. Caxfield
Magical Law Enforcement.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Dear Miss Black,

It has now been two weeks since our last owl. Please let us know if you are aware of your father's location.

Signed sincerely,
Elizabeth K. Mitzersmith
Magical Law Enforcement.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Dear Miss Black,

Have you or have you not been in contact with Sirius Black?

Signed,
Magical Law Enforcement.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Miss Black,

A Ministry force may have to be sent to inspect your living area if you do not reply to our letters. If we receive no reply by the date of August twelfth, nineteen ninety-five, an agent will be sent to seventeen-twenty Eadlyn Grove, Surrey.

Magical Law Enforcement.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"It'd be a real shocker if they find me there," snorted Cassie, tossing the letter over her shoulder. She finished polishing her broom handle and inspected it.

   "You can't stay here all summer," said Ron reasonably, swinging his broom onto his shoulder and pulling the protective paddings onto his head and arms. "I mean, eventually they're going to think to look here. Plus, you've got to get back to school next month.."

She hadn't technically been spending the whole summer at the Burrow; only the more recent half. She'd stayed with Remus until the first letter came on July eighth, then both parties decided it would be safer for her in a different location. After all, if it were so easy for the Ministry to find her, it couldn't have been much harder for the Death Eaters.

   "We'll burn that bridge when we get to it, won't we?" she said decisively, sending him a 'this-conversation-is-over' look as Fred, George, and Ginny entered the shed. Cassie gave them a once-over and walked past them, "Boys. Ginny. Ready to get out there?"