"Miss Lenoir, Miss Lenoir, it is good to see you." He says, smiling mainly at Catherine. "The parties have not been the same without your presence." His smile drops, "May I first offer my condolences for the death of your grandfather, he was a highly respected and adored man."

Clarissa raises an eyebrow at his words. Highly respected? Yes, there wasn't a person she knew of that didn't respect her grandfather, but adored? If Roderick Lenoir did attend these types of gatherings, it was rarely, and he mainly stood in the corner and smoked, ignoring everyone's attempts at conversation. It was one of the things she loved about him, his ability to render people pointless without saying a word.

"Thank you Lord Barclay." Catherine is saying, "We sorely miss him but is nice to return to society."

"Please, call me Samuel, we are friends after all." 

"Samuel," Catherine tests the name on her tongue, "You must do the same then."

"Catherine," He smiles, "I imagine you'll be attending all the balls now, to see your friends again and enjoy the season."

Clarissa has to admire this man and the way he picks for information. He knows well that they don't have many friends, he simply wants to know if Catherine is going to be present at the next ball. She decides to let him down as gently as possible.

"I know I shall try." She says, she looks to her sister, "It is shame you be unable to come with me, but I am sure France will hold many a spectacular party."

"France?" Samuel questions, a glint of worry in his eye. 

"Yes, I am leaving for France tomorrow afternoon," Catherine answers, completely unaware of the disappointment radiating from him. 

"For how long?" He asks, his cheery face more muted than before.

"I am not quite sure but I intend to travel deeper into Europe by the end of the year." She says, excitement in her face. "I think I may try Vienna for a short time, I remember you telling me how stunning your visit was to your aunt last spring."

"Indeed..." Samuel begins. Clarissa touches her sister's arm to let her know she is leaving, but Catherine is too involved in Samuel's reply to respond. 

Clarissa edges her way around the dance floor, some people smile and nod to her but thankfully she is not dragged into a conversation. She spies a group of girls her age gathered in a corner, all talking behind their hands as the point at men. She recognises a few of them but their giggling faces are enough to discourage her interacting with them. Growing up with two sisters meant that she never felt the need to seek companionship with other girls, her sister's are her best friends.  

"What do think would happen if they were split up?" Evelyn Wright asks from behind her. Clarissa turns around, surprised at the voice. 

"Evelyn, what a surprise," She says slowly. 

"How are you Clarissa?" Evelyn inclines her blonde head, smiling slightly. 

"Well, thank you. It's good to see you again," Clarissa says, feeling uncomfortable. "It's been a long time..." 

"Four years." Evelyn agrees, "A lot has changed." 

"Yes I read about your misadventure in the paper, I didn't realise you had such a taste for daring." 

Evelyn laughs, "Neither did I, funny how things turn out." 

"Indeed, you have caused such a stir." 

"Not my intention naturally." 

"No, of course not." Clarissa grimaces, she hates the feeling of inferiority she used to get standing next to the perfect Miss Wright. Catherine was presented to society at the same time as Evelyn which meant that Clarissa often spent time with the two girls as they prepared for the season. At the time Evelyn was the shining diamond of the ton and next to her, Clarissa felt dumpy and freakish even though she was just a child. When Evelyn left London after her family lost its fortune, she never thought she'd see her again. Despite being older and wiser she still feels intimidated by Evelyn's beauty and grace. As always she looks effortlessly beautiful in a large purple ballgown and diamond jewellery.