"Right." He leaned back. "But where would they take the body?"

"Best guess? Closest hospital."

"Which is—?"

We stared at each other. I grimaced as Sam redirected his gaze to the map. "No clue," I admitted.

"I'll look it up during lunch," he decided. The news filled the silence that passed between us with a new story about a local charity drive. "Dad's going to want to know about this."

I shrugged. "So we tell him." At Sam's glance, I arched a brow. "Next time he calls." It was easier asking forgiveness than permission, after all.

Plan decided, Sam and I grabbed our bags and headed out for the day.

As I'd dreaded, the roads were covered in black ice. I gave myself extra time to stop, which meant we were a few minutes later than usual arriving at the school. I hoped the ice would thaw by the time classes were finished.

We climbed out of the cab and started for our respective buildings. A quick scan of the parking lot revealed the Cullens and Hales standing over by their car, this time parked three spots further down the lot then it had been in previous days. I'd just met Edward's gaze when a loud screech demanded my attention.

A blue van, tires locked, was sliding at an angle down the frozen lane. Standing a few steps back, Sam paused and spun towards the noise.

With terrifying clarity, I realized the van was about to collide into my little brother.

My bag slipped from my numbed fingers as I lunged forward. Sam started towards me, but the van was moving too fast. Unthinking, I reached out in time to grab his arms. Using every ounce of strength I had, I swung us around and flung him out of the van's path. He slid several feet back, ultimately losing his footing and colliding with the ground.

I didn't have time to do anything except tense. As if preparing to be smashed between two vehicles might lessen the damage.

The van was close enough to smell rust and oil when something grabbed me from behind and yanked me down. I flew back between two parked cars, hitting the ground so hard my head bounced off the pavement. Ringing filled my ears, but my eyesight was fine. Clear enough to see Edward Cullen now crouched in front of me. As the van kept coming, he shoved his arms out.

The van bounced off his hands.

A huge dent appeared in the side as it slid a few inches away.

Compared to the shockingly fast movements moments before, the slow turn of Edward's head to look at me over his shoulder seemed to last forever. His eyes were wide enough to show a sea of white around the amber irises as they locked onto mine. Head ringing, back smarting, I stared back into them and realized he'd just saved my life.

By stopping a van with his bare hands.

"Sarah!" The hood of the van buckled beneath all six foot two of skinny teen as Sam jumped up and slid over it.

Edward's head snapped to the side at Sam's sudden appearance. Pale, wide hazel eyes shining with horror, Sam crumpled at my side. He spared a brief glance at Edward before focusing on me. "Are you okay?"

I was reluctant to let Edward out of my sights. Somehow, I managed to turn to Sam. At the sudden lance of pain from the back of my head, causing me to wince, I regretted the move instantly. "Yeah," I managed, pushing myself up by my elbows.

Despite the growing commotion of voices beyond the cars and van, I could hear Sam's exhale. His expression relaxed and he held out his hand. "Here."