Chapter 3

Surprisingly, Razi drove sedately to their destination. Wan had expected a white knuckled ride that did not eventuate. As they pulled into the carpark at the Beaumont Tea Plantation they saw the Visitors Centre on their left, its large viewing balcony extending out above a steep mountain slope. On the right, and further down the hill stood the grand plantation home, a three story tudor mansion.

Between the two policemen and the house was a set of metal gates three metres high with elaborately carved pillars sporting lion motifs on either side. A security intercom on a metal pedestal was mounted into the bitumen a metre in front of them on the right hand side. They pulled over to the intercom and Razi pushed the button.

There was a slight delay before a voice spoke in clear English, "This is the Beaumont Private Residence. The Visitors Centre is on your left. If you wish to meet with a member of the household, please state your business."

"Good morning. Tanah Rata Police here. May we come in and speak with you please?" Razi spoke the standard police request dispassionately. There was another longer pause.

"Come through. Park in the front parking area please." The intercom clicked and the heavy metal gates began to swing open. Razi eased the Proton down the long drive and parked directly in front of the main door.

Emerging from the stately building was an elderly Malay male. He was dressed formally in black and white and wore a look of concern. His name badge read 'Mr Ferdinand'. As they approached he began to smile and bowed in professional greeting, "Good morning. How may I help you?" Soft rain began to fall.

"Are any of the Beaumont's at home at the moment?" Wan asked, keen to eye the interior. He noticed that Razi's eyes were taking in every detail of the house and surrounds including the paths down each side, the triple garage doors and the driveway which continued down the right hand side to a shed at the rear.

"Mr Henry is visiting from England. Follow me and I will let him know that your are here." With that Mr Ferdinand spun around and walked briskly toward the entrance. The two policemen followed him.

He led them into the foyer at the foot of an enormous timber stair case, through a formal sitting room with white walls and a ceiling transversed by dark strips of wood, a style typical of the mock tudor houses built by the English in the 1930s. There was a massive marble fireplace dominating one wall and large rectangular timber windows revealing a view over the extensive gardens on the other.

The glass was modern and the furniture was typical of the period, but of the highest quality and immaculately maintained. A glittering chandelier hung pendulously unlit above them.

Finally, they were shown onto a rear verandah of prodigious dimensions with a black slate floor, bamboo blinds and wicker sofas with large square coffee tables between them. There was a well stocked bar at one end. Mr Ferdinand indicated that they should make themselves comfortable and returned to the house. 

Wan looked at the low sofas with despair. He desperately wanted to sit down but knew this to be impossible. He walked over to the railing, first testing its voracity by pushing and pulling the top rail forcefully before resting his elbows heavily on the top and bending over slightly. He uttered a quiet grunt which Razi judiciously ignored. He didn't dare offer the Inspector any help. Wan lit up a long anticipated Saat.

Razi flopped down onto one of the sofas, apparently feeling quite at home Wan thought. They both looked out over the rolling blanket of tea fields, as green as emeralds under the soft grey clouds. Mist inched its way out of distant valleys on either side of their vista. They waited while pickers, backs bent under heavy baskets, moved slowly between the rows.