06

A week passed by as Kuroo got better and started working again. You helped him catch up to his stacked work and watched the man run around hectically in the office.

You: Even after the accident you still have so much energy.

Kuroo: Of course, I've got a lot of stamina.

You: Mhmm... not buying it.

You: Sit down and take a break, it's lunch already.

Kuroo reluctantly sat down beside you in the employee's lounge as you pulled out two bentos. One for him and one for you.

You: Grilled salted mackerel bento, made by yours truly.

Kuroo: Is this octopus sausage with eyes?

You: It's cute, right?

Kuroo laughed.

Kuroo: Whatever you say. Thanks for the food.

He took his chopsticks and started to eat the bento with a satisfied look on his face.

Kuroo: This is really good. Alisa couldn't cook at all so it's nice to eat someone else's cooking for once.

You: I know, Alisa can burn water if she wanted to.

You and Kuroo shared a light happy meal together. It wasn't awkward with him anymore, you've got really used to this new life.

After Kuroo finished the food, you and Kuroo went to the simple kitchen of the employee's lounge. You waited for your coffee to simmer down when Kuroo stood behind you, his arms trapping you to the kitchen counter.

You: Um... Kuroo?

He was giving you a weird frustrated look.

Kuroo: Tell me, what were we?

You: Huh?

Kuroo: You and me. Why do I not get the sense that we were best friends before?

You: But... we were?

Kuroo: Then why did you kiss me in the hospital and told me that I've always wanted you to give me a magic recovery kiss?

You were caught red-handed. How are you going to bullshit your way out of this? You gently tried to push him away but he didn't budge an inch.

You: Um... can you let me go? I'll tell you about everything after work.

Kuroo looked into your eyes to see if you were lying, then stepped away.

Kuroo: Wait for me then? I'm drowning in papers.

Your uneasiness melted away.

You: Fine, I'll help you.

---

After helping Kuroo with his work, you walked with him in awkward silence through the streets of Tokyo. You decided to buy simple snacks and sat on the set of swings you went to on the day of your drunken fiasco.

You pulled out a corndog and but into it, letting out a satisfied moan in the process.

Kuroo: Are you ready to tell me?

Kuroo didn't touch his food, he was staring at you the whole time you were eating and it made you feel very uncomfortable.

You: Sure?

You set the food away, wiping your mouth, and turned to him.

You: We were dating.

Kuroo didn't seem surprised by the news so you continued.

You: We met on the first day of the sport management department's orientation and just hit it off.

You: You used to tease me a lot and told me I was a nerd for volleyball, in fact, you were too... You introduced me to the volleyball team and I became the manager, taking care of you boys every day.

You laughed.

You: Then you asked me out and we started dating. It was until a year after that I had rising problems with my dad. You helped me by calling my uncle and told me that you'd be alright with me moving to Brazil... you promised you'd wait for-

You: Um... never mind. Well, after you drove me to the airport you got into an accident. My dad tried to stop you while driving and you crashed, losing your memories.

You: When I got back, Alisa told me that you guys were engaged so I didn't want to bother the two of you and just claimed that we were best friends. I mean, even when we were dating, you were also my best friend then.

As I wrapped up the story. Kuroo buried his face into his palms.

You: Kuroo?

Kuroo: Tell me more... about us.

He didn't look up to you but his voice suggested that he really wanted to know more.

You: Um... you were a silly dork, always spouting periodic table puns... you made me do it too and everyone started to call us the chemistry couple. Oh, after every practice you would sleep on my lap and said that they were fat. That's mean to say to a girl you know! But you'd always tell me that's why you liked me.

You: Honestly, Kuroo. You're a weird dork.

Kuroo: Hahaha... you've been calling me that every day.

You: Cause it's important for you to know.

You nodded as you convinced yourself.

Kuroo: And?

You: Well, can I really go into this? You're with Alisa after all.

Kuroo: She hid this from me. I wanted to know why.

You sadly looked at him and reached out your hand towards his face. Your palm reached his cheeks as you rubbed it gently, sending shivers down his spine.

Kuroo was taken aback for a moment.

You: You shouldn't be leaning on the swing chains, it's dirty.

He let out a large sigh at that.

Kuroo: Y/n... did I love you?

You didn't even hesitate in answering.

You: Of course, you told me a million times. You told me I was your oxygen, a silly statement hehe... but you took really good care of me then, you loved me a lot. As much as I love you.

Kuroo: Love?