03

Your father has been admitted to a rehabilitation center and you were happy that he was trying to get himself better.

Despite the good news, you're heart never thought of anything else other than Kuroo. He broke his promise to you and you couldn't get mad at him. It was your fault for not being there when he needed you the most.

While you were dreading your broken heart, you went early to your first job in Tokyo. Amazingly, you were accepted into Japan's Volleyball Association in the sports promotion division.

At least you had a job that you could indulge in when you thought about Kuroo. But you were wrong.

Manager: Here are our new employees. Please introduce yourself.

You and the new employees happily introduced yourself to the other staff when Kuroo came walking into the room.

Your heartbeat erratically like it was about to explode. What was he doing here?

Manager: Oh, Kuroo-san! This is Y/n-san. She will be your junior assistant for the time being.

Kuroo looked at you with a questioning gaze before nodding back at the manager. You, on the other hand, were doing quadratic equations in your head to avoid panicking.

You: Uh, I'll be in your care.

You gave Kuroo a polite bow and he shrugged it off.

Kuroo: No need to be so formal. Come, I'll show you around.

With that, Kuroo took you around the building and showed you the things you will be doing while working with him. Throughout the whole interaction, it was like he was conversing with a stranger. He was nice, polite, and outgoing, but not like how he used to be with you.

What were you hoping for anyway? He forgot about you.

Your days at work went about normally unlike how you expected. You followed Kuroo around to help him and you did your work really well.

Alisa called you and asked you how you were doing and if you were alright working as Kuroo's assistant. You didn't know what to say so you just blabbered random things to her.

After a week passed, you got closer to Kuroo as you held back your emotions. It was nostalgic and pleasant as if you were reliving the past where both of you met for the first time. Kuroo was very considerate and nice to you.

Friday night, after work, the team attended a company dinner with the manager and other employees.

You sat beside Kuroo, chugging down tubs of beer like it was your lifeline.

Kuroo: Y/n, you need to stop drinking now.

You: Iyem Nyot gwowing tchu!

Kuroo: You're already this drunk.

You: Nyouu!

You were trying to drown your sorrows away with the free beer the company paid for. You would never pay for alcohol on your own because of your father's past habits, but this was fine.

Kuroo: I think I'll take Y/n-san back first.

Co-worker: Please do. Before she hurts herself.

The others laughed and helped usher you and Kuroo out as Kuroo bid your goodbyes too.

On the way, you suddenly wanted to puke and Kuroo lead you to the park beside a playground. You emptied your guts and sat on a swing, waiting for Kuroo to come back, still drunk.

When Kuroo saw you on the swing, he sat on the swing beside yours and gave you water. You happily took it from him and downed the whole bottle.

You: Thanksyu.

Kuroo couldn't help but laugh at your drunk gibberish. Staring at you with a mysterious look in his eyes.

Kuroo: I can't believe we were best friends before...

You: Oh, we were!

Kuroo: Do you have any proof?

You: Yes! You were so annoying. You'd tease me and sing the periodic table song until I got sick of it every single time.

You frowned at that memory.

You: You always ate grilled mackerel but complained about only eating fish. You're also really sly and good at provoking others.

Kuroo stared at you with big round eyes but you didn't notice that before continuing.

You: You always complain about the uni's preference for volleyballs. You said you'll only play with Mikasa volleyballs but-

Kuroo: Stop.

Kuroo let out a nervous laugh.

Kuroo: That's more than I thought you'd know. I can't believe I forgot about someone like you.

Kuroo tried to think while swinging in his seat.

You knew more than that though. You knew almost everything about him, excluding the three years when you lived in Brazil.

His whole life story was in the back of your palm. You could never forget it, never forget him.

You: It's hard to process, alright.

You felt tears threatening to fall out.

Kuroo: Yeah...

Kuroo decided that it was time for you to get back home and sober up. He carried you into your house and set you down on your bed before leaving.

Since then, Kuroo wanted to know more about you.