Prologue

—Checkmate

❝Everything to her was a game of chess, and he devoted himself to winning

Everything to her was a game of chess, and he devoted himself to winning.

She was the villain from the very beginning. She was no hero and definitely not one deserving of praise like the other. She was reckless, cold, and unbearably rude. The words from her mouth were blunt and harsh. She was every soggy leaf that left you unsatisfied, every broken pencil, every taste that lingered on your tongue, and the least favorite.

He was the hero of her story. At the start, he'd been naive and young to think that she had just been misunderstood. But after years of elaboration and further connection with the world, he learned that it wasn't that she was misunderstood. It was that she knew too much. He was a man of knowledge and curiosity. His head spun when he didn't know the answer to something. He'd spend days figuring it out.

She watched and observed. Perhaps that was her entire job. She played mediator, and she played advocate. Sometimes, her tone of voice could make everyone fall into a state of awe as a sirens call. She'd make the people's heads turn because she had the beauty of Circe and was banished to this island where nobody could truly relish in her beauty.

But he did.

He had devoted his entire life to her. Everything he did was for her. She thought he was foolish. He thought he was clever. Perhaps that's the difference between man and woman. But after growing up and understanding the world. He'd realize that she was never truly the villain like everyone thought. Her quick-witted tongue was meant to keep people at arm's length. It was meant to keep her walls up high, but he could see through it.

He was more intelligent than she had initially thought. He saw through every little comment and allowed himself to really dig into every word. Sooner or later, he found out that this was all a tactic. Everything to her was a game of chess, and he devoted himself to winning.

Five Hargreeves wanted nothing more than to checkmate Y/n.