Chapter 16

"So, what's with the duffle bag?" Elsie was leaned up against the arm of her couch, her arms crossed and looking at me with worry.

"I need to ask you a favor." I extended my hand out to Leo as he approached me, meowing with need for attention.

"Sure. What's up?" Her head tilted to the side as Leo rubbed his head against my fingers, lightly purring.

"Can I stay with you this weekend?"

There was a brief pause as she studied me.

"Yeah, that's fine. I don't really see why it would be a problem. But can I ask why?" Her tone was laced with confusion.

I sighed. "Ryker asked me to leave. It's a huge mess."

"I feel like we need some coffee." She pulled me behind her and squeezed my hand, all but forcing me to drop down into a seat at her kitchen table.

I rested my face in my hands trying to think over all our earlier conversations and all the things we had done. I am not sure why Ryker would have lied other than to assume my first impression of him had been correct; he was a fuck boy. I had fallen right into it, just like he had wanted. He had made so many advances towards me and spent so much time trying to get to know me, that it had distracted me from what he was really doing.

I am a fucking idiot.

"So." She pushed a steaming cup across the table to me. "Let's talk about it."

I pulled the cup closer to me. "Promise not to judge me?"

"Girl, what are best friends for?" When I said nothing, she made a face. "Of course not."

"Fine." I paused and swirled the dark liquid around before sighing again. "I slept with Ryker. Last week."

Her eyes bulged.

"No. No." I held up a finger. "You said you wouldn't judge."

"I'm not." She cleared her throat. "Continue."

"It was different. At least for me." I admitted. "It wasn't what I was used to. I cannot really explain it. But it was something different for me, in a good way. He has spent so much time with me, and we've gotten to know each other. He assured me he wasn't with Emma, that it was just a complicated situation. She shows up out of nowhere and bam! Suddenly, they are engaged. Then. Then! He has the audacity to ask me to leave. It is my apartment, too! Apparently, he never told her I was a girl, never really explained to her anything about me, and she just shows up and starts bossing him around like she owns the damn place."

I finished in a huff, flushed from my rising anger. Elsie stayed quiet, waiting patiently for me to calm down before she offered a sympathetic smile.

"I wouldn't believe it if it weren't for you telling me, but Ryker is a jackass, Jay. If this is the way he's going to treat you, then I would just walk away if I were you. He is not worth it, and you deserve better. There is plenty of other fish in the sea, or something like that. Let Ryker wallow in his own misery with Emma." Her smile turned wicked. "And I'll give him a piece of my mind when I see him."

"You really don't mind if I stay?" I asked, mulling over how much pressure it would take to snap one of Ryker's limbs. "I really hate asking for anything."

"Of course not. Like I said, what are best friends for?" She smiled, back to her normal self.

The second time she said it, it really registered. Elsie considered me to be her best friend. It was not like I had ever had friends, let alone one that would fall under the category of 'best;' well, maybe Niklaus, but that was a moot point. It was a comfort to be able to unload all my frustrations about everything going on, and I appreciated her more than Elsie would ever know.