| I'm Hopeless, Broken

The warm, soft summer breeze blowing against her skin is enough to dry her slightly teary cheeks. The silence in the air allows Zelda to finally relax, and with no one around, she grants herself the feeling of grief. The tree trunk she's currently sitting against has become comfortable, in a way, as her eyes stare at the large boulder that stands out slightly from the many others surrounding it. Where Impa, her once royal advisor, her best friend, now rests peacefully.

Sure it had been expected. One hundred years and a few more have flown by since the Great Calamity, and Zelda knew Impa was considered old when they finally met a few years ago. However, loss is never an easy thing to face, and this is how Zelda is able to manage: talking to Impa, sometimes in silence, other times not, and remembering every good thing she has done for everyone throughout her long, eventful life.

Paya was the one to give Zelda and Link the bitter news. They knew, somehow, when the usual timid, bright young Sheikah descended the stairs of Impa's abode and did not even blush when Link eyed her directly. Then, the words left her lips and the three didn't fight the embrace that suddenly became a necessity. It was Dorian, after long minutes of watching the trio mourning from his post outside the humble house that took matter into his own hands and walked to them, providing as much comfort as he could muster

Zelda remembers that night vividly. The Village was heavy, silent, and it felt like everyone was fighting back tears. The darkness of the night was occasionally broken by the few fireflies that roamed through the pathways and houses, as if Impa herself was trying to say that it was alright, that she did not want her people to mourn her loss.

Now, a couple of years later, the village has somewhat returned to its former glory, the shops full with people as well as the pathways filled with merchants and travelers. However, every sunday, when they celebrate the lives of the ones who aren't there anymore, they are sure to include Lady Impa on their prayers.

Zelda heaves out a heavy sigh, still facing the boulder in front of her, her mind full with thoughts and recollections of her friend. She doesn't even notice when the sound of light footsteps on the grass breaks the silence of the night. "Hey,"

She glances up, her eyes meeting the ocean blue ones she's been looking at for the past two years, every single day. "Hey..."

He sits next to her in silence, pushing his knees to his chest like her, his hands resting atop them comfortably. Link risks a glance at her, and upon noticing the dried tears in her rosy cheeks, a contemplative sigh leaves his lips immediately. Tentatively, his hand reaches for her shoulder, where he places it with a soothing rub. He knows that Zelda isn't completely healed by the wounds of her past, and seeing her this way opens a box inside his heart that tells him he must protect her at all costs, even when no imminet danger is at sight. Because sometimes the real danger lives in ourselves. It's our duty to tame it into something we can live with, something we can take comfort in. 

Her head tilts to the side to stare at him, still rested on her crossed arms, and both stay that way, just finding comfort in each other's presence.

"I miss her..." It's a mere whisper, though Link hears it anyway.