| All the Lights Couldn't Put Out the Dark Running Through My Heart

It's close to midnight when Zelda hears it. 

She's wide awake in her small room in Kakariko Village studying some relics Link found while on his journey to save her, the soft moonlight outside the thin windows a comfort in her solitude. Impa is sound asleep downstairs, as well as Paya. After sealing the Calamity for good, Impa kindly provided the two heroes much needed rest in her humble house until they find their path. They need time, and now they have it. 

They've been at remote ease these past couple of months. No threats, no impending doom, no Ganon. So it catches her by surprise when a small whimper reaches her pointy ears. The emotions overtake her brain, immediately forgetting the ancient part atop her bed to investigate the source of the sound. Opening her bedroom door, the sound repeats, and Zelda is sure it's coming from Link's room, just down the corridor. He must be having a nightmare.

She paddles carefully as to not awake Impa and Paya, making her way to the front door of his room with only the light of a small lantern hanging from the ceiling. 

Now, the rational part of her brain screams that she  should  knock. It's extremely impolite not to, right? Much more coming from  the  Princess. The emotional part of her brain, however, reminds her that she is no longer a Princess and that her friend is in pain. So, pushing aside the manners she was taught 100 years ago, Zelda gingerly opens the wooden door, entering the room in a swift movement. 

Zelda crosses the distance to where Link is laying on his bed, and the sight is enough to shatter her heart into a million pieces.

Link is trembling, eyebrows furrowed in a way Zelda has never seen before. Beads of sweat form on his temples, only to follow his rounded cheeks until they hit his pillow. His eyes twitch as whimpers leave his shaking lips, and the way he's gripping the sheets close to his body is proof that he is desperately trying to find the comfort he doesn't have.

She approaches his figure with caution, not knowing what to do. Should she wake him? Or would he be spooked and get even more agitated? 

Kneeling by his side, Zelda allows herself to relish in the fact that he  is  breathing. Not unmoving in her arms, all bloody and wounded. A strand of his blonde hair falls on his eyes, and without thought Zelda softly pushes it aside, her eyes soft but full of anguish upon seeing him so fragile, so vulnerable. 

However, the moment her hand touches his cheek, the whimpers stop, and his furrowed brows relax slightly, his eyes soften. Zelda is taken aback. 

Sure they've gotten close since the day the calamity ended. Sure they've been almost inseparable since then. But the fact that he calms down with her touch goes beyond any logic she might've had. Or... maybe it's simply because of human touch, not because it's  her  touch.

Zelda lifts her hand from his skin, and the distress rushes to him once again.

"Link?" She whispers, brushing his bangs with delicate hands, manners be damned. "Wake up. It's okay." He shakes his head slightly, low murmurs that Zelda can't make out leaving his lips ceaselessly. "Link, you're okay. Just wake up." She shakes his shoulder slightly and his body jolts up, eyes wide and dark, panting breaths leaving his lungs quickly.

"Hey, it's alright. We're safe." Zelda comforts, not touching him to give him some space.

His head turns to her then, carefully, eyes searching for familiarity. When they land on hers, Link lets out a breath as big as Death Mountain. "Zelda? What-What are you doing here?"

Zelda smiles softly, understanding. "You were having a nightmare." She whispers.

He blinks, looking at her. "Oh... oh, I'm sorry, I... I didn't mean to wake you." Link murmurs, still detached, though his posture is less stiff than before.

"You didn't. I was still studying the relics you found." Upon his nod, Zelda watches him with earnest. "Are you okay?"

A sigh leaves his lips, a hand coming up to shake the nightmare out of his face. "Yeah, I just..." He stops, avoiding her gaze. "Sometimes I don't know what's real and what's made up anymore."

"What do you mean?" Zelda asks, genuinely intrigued. Link usually isn't the one to speak about his routine, much less about his emotions. But he's vulnerable now, and if he feels the need to talk, who is Zelda to stop him?

"I don't know..." Link taps the side of his bed, inviting Zelda to sit next to him instead of kneeling on the floor. "I don't remember everything from before, and that's okay. But the thing that freaks me out is not being sure if what I remember is real or just something I made up for my own comfort." He admits, his head lowering to hide his gaze from Zelda's.

"I can help you if you want. I... we weren't on good terms in the beginning but when we started getting along we shared some things. Maybe I can help you with what I know."

Link looks up, eyes hopeful despite the tears forming on them. Zelda only wishes she could comfort him, push the pain away, but sometimes you have to know pain to recognize happiness. "Please..."

"Alright. Let's see... How about you say something you're unsure of and I'll tell you if it's real or not?" Zelda suggests, happy that Link has managed a small smile, wholeheartedly nonetheless.

"My parents died when I was young, so I was raised by the forest's spirits."

"No. Your parents were always there for you. Your father was a knight, and your mother was always happy to see you and your sister together." Zelda answers, happy to see curiosity in his eyes.

"I had a sister?" He asks, eyes searching in hers.

"Yes, you did." Zelda smiles, and Link stares at her as if she's the only source of water in a hot desert. "Her name was Aryll. She was a few years younger than you, and she would chase you everywhere you went."

A ghost of a smile forms on his lips, his eyes soft while thinking his next question. "I became a knight because I pulled the sword."

"Hmm... I do know you were always keen to follow your father's steps, but I think that yes, that weighted the decision."

After several questions answered, Zelda notices with a warm heart that Link feels less burdened, more open, more relaxed. They've ended up sitting against the headboard, knees touching and hands brushing against the other. When no more terrors filled his brain, the two fell into a soothing silence, the sleep finally arriving at last.

Zelda rests her head on his shoulder, his head resting on hers right after. They're a little broken, yes, but they'll make it through. 

Sleep is almost consuming her when a murmur reaches her ears. "Your favorite flower..." He starts, voice filled with sleep. "Your favorite flower is the Silent Princess."

Maybe it's the certainty with which he says it, or maybe it's the fact that he remembers, but her heart fills with unexplainable warmth, a grin forming in her lips immediately that Zelda is sure will hurt her cheeks.

"Real."

A/N

Heyaaa! I hope you enjoy this chapter, I'll see you soon!

(Title inspired by Lights Up by the one and only Harry Styles)