cardigan

"But I knew you'd linger like a tattoo kiss
I knew you'd haunt all of my what-ifs
The smell of smoke would hang around this long
'Cause I knew everything when I was young
I knew I'd curse you for the longest time
Chasing shadows in the grocery line
I knew you'd miss me once the thrill expired
And you'd be standin' in my front porch light
And I knew you'd come back to me
You'd come back to me
And you'd come back to me
And you'd come back
And when I felt like I was an old cardigan
Under someone's bed
You put me on and said I was your favorite"
~Taylor Swift~

It had been 11 years since Waverly lost her dad and sister and 3 months since Wynonna had gone to juvie...again. Gus worked tirelessly to ensure Waverly had the best possible life she could, given the circumstances. Now a senior in highschool, Waverly seemed to have the perfect life.

She was captain of the cheerleading team, head of 3 different academic clubs, dating the schools hockey captain Champ Hardy. Yes, that Champ Hardy.

The boy who tortured her in elementary school. Waverly had it all. But she still felt like something was missing. She just couldn't quite put her finger on it.

Nicole on the other hand, was in a completely different place. She had dropped out of high school and decided she wanted to go to the police academy.

Her parents did not support her in the slightest, being the hippies that they were. The academy wouldn't accept her due to her age and lack of high school diploma, but Sheriff Nedley caught wind of her ambition and was adamant about recruiting her as long as she finished her senior year in Purgatory. So off to Purgatory she went, leaving behind her parents and everything she knew.

The morning of homecoming was stressful for Waverly. She woke up late and had to skip out on breakfast which made her the tiniest bit grumpy. She texted her carpool squad that she was running late but would be there in a jiffy and threw on her cheer uniform.

She stopped to pick up her friends, Jeremy, Robin, and Chrissy, apologizing profusely for running late.

"Oh my god, you guys, I'm so sorry! I guess I stayed up too late reading my newest book on Ancient Runes and overslept." Waverly said, pulling out of Jeremy's driveway.

"No worries, we'll still be on time. We just won't get to sit on the bleachers first." Jeremy said with a shrug.

"And you'll have to wait until lunch to hear about my riveting fling with Perry Crofte!" Chrissy said, giddily. Robin rolled his eyes.

"Oh I can't wait!" Robin said, sarcastically.

"You're just jealous! What were there no taker's at your Band Camp?" Chrissy teased. "You know what they say, this one time at..."

"Shut up, Chrissy. I get it you're excited. I am happy for you, really." Robin interrupted, laughing.

"I missed you guys, seriously. Summer and the past few weeks were so boring working for Shorty." Waverly said grinning, as she pulled into her designated parking spot.

"Here we go, homecoming kickoff!" Jeremy said, hopping out of Waverly's jeep.

The group of friends split up and went to their homerooms.  Homecoming was all anybody was talking about. With the game later that night, and the dance the next day, the teachers knew barely anything would get done.

During lunch Waverly was busy setting up the final decorations in the gym for the dance. She had just finished putting the final touches and was admiring her work, when a pair of strong arms wrapped around her and pulled her close.

"How's my best girl doing, huh?" Champ said, planting a wet kiss on her cheek.

"Hi, Champ. How do you like the decorations?" Waverly asked, slyly wiping the excess spit from her cheek.