Nhedri kept quiet as Mayhee slid to a halt. We looked across the great cavernous plains at a line of horns standing a hundred paces away. Their arms carrying bows, bladed weapons, battering logs, and scaling ladders. Suddenly, drums boomed, echoing through the cave. They raised their weapons and hollered, "Woogah!" as they charged while above us came the hollar of merfolk as they positioned their catapults for the final assault. 

"We have to make it past the lines if we want to make it ..."

Nhedri eyes narrowed and her brows dropped. "We can make it," she said, patting Mayhee. "All we have to do is trust him." She whistled and kicked.

Mayhee's hooves dug into the stone and we were off, galloping with rage. The wind was howling. Men's voices rising. And the clank of wood against blade rose above even the drums. A loud, woosh  came from behind us.  I turned my head, eyeing glowing blue lights that arched upward and fell towards the horde of horns. 

"What is that?"

Nhedri eyes trailed one like a comet. She shook her head. "I don't know ..."

My heart beat three times  ... then my world became a nightmare.

Around us, the blue light crashed into the ground. Streams of liquid shot forward, stretching into fine, sickled points. They froze and pierced through wooden shields and flesh. A bloody mist rising in the air.

Nhedri yelled, "Mayhee ... maneuver!"

The horse whipped from side-to-side dodging the sea of horn troops and the sickled ice that speared warrior-after-warrior. Their bodies falling to the ground and stuck upwarded upon the spears. Their moans and groans became a song that rose with the beat of the drums. 

"Shield, men! Shields!" Barthrax yelled, as the troops raised their wood protectors.

The horse galloped further, leaping over corpses, and carving in-between groups of bodies and men until we saw the cave exit.

Nhedri pointed to the light, "there, Eroh ... we're going to make it—"

A clash sounded behind us. Mayhee bucked and neighed. Nhedri and I flew forward, hitting the ground as we rolled against stone, grunting as our flesh and leather hit. I layed on the ground, wincing. Nhedri gasped as rolled onto her hands and knees.

"Are you alright?"

Nhedri nodded then turned her head from shoulder-to-shoulder. She gasped. Eyelids stretching. In a heartbeat, Nhedri was on her feet running. "Mayhee!" She screamed, tears rolling down her cheeks. "No!"

I rose to my feet and found her terror. An icicle spear protruded from the horse's chest. He panted, heavy. Mouth frothy. Eyes black and still. She ran to him and clutched his head, patting him gently.

"Mayhee ... please ... stay with me ... you're going to be ok." She cried and teared.

I approached her slowly on my hooves. My chin pressed to my chest. Eyes lowered. I stood over her and watched the horse until the light in his eyes faded and his body fell limp. Nhedri pressed her head against his, sobbing.

I stretched out a hand, "Nhedri ... I'm so sorry—"

She whipped her head. Her eyes black. Teeth clenched. Brows furrowed. "This is all your fault! If you hadn't tried to help them ... help those monsters ... help that girl ... this never would've happened!"

I drew back my hand and looked upon her then to the fallen bodies, then tk castle where fire and horns scaled the walls, swinging their clubs, and leaving no merfolk alive. My eyes fell back upon her as my lips sunk. "I didn't mean for any of this to happen—"

"Of course you didn't ... just like you didn't mean for that kiss, right?" She sobbed. "Get away from me ..."

"But Nhedri—"

"I said, get away from me, traitor!"

I froze and looked upon her. That girl I loved. The one that filled my heart with joy over the last few years. Then I dropped my head, turned on my hooves, and went towards the light, hoping the nightmare would end ...

*****

There was a feast and a ceremony after the victory and funeral for all the brave warriors that were lost on that day. The people rejoiced. Lylef and Rokk were to be wed. And Reigrum gave father a golden feathered war bonnet that belonged to Lord Tardakk for his great victory. 

I celebrated for a time then I slipped away to the fishing trees where I sat below the trees, thinking of Elior ... thinking of Aqule ... and thinking of Nhedri. Everybody cheered though all I felt was sadness and uncertainty ... uncertain of what our tribes future held ... uncertain of what would become of the Merfolk and Aqule ... and uncertain of what a marriage with Nhedri would become.

I sat and pondered knowing that I was to become the Horn Lord ... 

... but am I worthy?

The fishing tree snapped, and I looked up, finding the fish struggling in it's veins below the surface. I rose to my feet and walked over, watching as the life slowly faded from its body. I pulled my knife from my hip, grabbed the vein, and hacked it away. The fish stayed still and for a moment I thought it dead ... then, suddenly, it flicked it's tail and shot off down the stream. 

I smiled at the sight and whispered, "maybe there is still hope for us ... and maybe there is still hope for them ... the future is never set in stone."

END OF BOOK ONE