"Shouldn't I be in front?"

"Just get on." She laughed. "Besides, Mayhee would buck you before he'd allow you to take control ... he only has the allegiance to me.

I grunted as I climbed up onto his rear. "If you say so ..."

Nhedri grabbed my arms and wrapped them around my waist, pulling them tightly. My chest against her back. Chin over her right shoulder. Our warmth passing between each other.

"We'll move better if you hold on tight ... when I lean, you lean ... when I duck, you duck ... and when I breath, you breath ... together we must all be one spirit if we hope to make haste to safety." I nodded. Nhedri kicked, whipped the reins, and whistled, and we were off dashing through the cave.

I'd never ridden a prairie stallion before. He moved with a swiftness, even upon stone. Dashing and darting around corners, picking up speed, faster and faster, the wind singing in our ears. Nhedri's braid whipping at our backs. The smell of prairie flowers of her skin and hair, making my nostrils flare.

We raced, smashing through lines of troops, and fleeing merfolk. And ducked and dodged the spears that took flight, each trying to penetrate our flesh. When we broke from the cave, and went into the castle the song of screaming, clashing weapons, and hooves met our ears while the bright reddish-orange of flames met our eyes. 

"The castle is burning ..."

Nhedri scanned the surrounding. "We're cut off ... we can't go back the way we came in."

Brought my lips close to her ear and whispered. "The only way out is through the front gate."

Nhedri kicked the horse and pulled the reins, spinning, and looking for another way out. She nodded. "Looks like you're right ..." And turned the horse towards the stairwell. She kicked and whistled, and we shot off.

Mahee galloped to the stairs where he neighed and bucked at a group of spear men ascending. "Mayhee ... go!" He lunged forward, breaking through their line as the soldiers clashed and fell back. Mayhee then raced down the staircase, around and around, until we reached the bottom.

"There." I pointed. "The gate ... they're closing it."

Nhedri whipped her head and watched the portcullis slowly fall. She whistled and kicked, Mayhee rushed towards the falling bladed edge. "Stay low," Nhedri shouted, pressing her chest down upon Mayhee's back. I pressed my back against hers, keeping low, and my chin up and eyes forward. The portcullis shrieked as it lowered. Mayhees hooves beating like my heart. The bladed edges falling.

"We're not going to make it ..."

"We will."

"No." I shook my head, eyelids stretching open. "It's falling too quickly."

Nhedri gazed around Mayhees bobbing head. "Ok. You're going to have to trust me. On three I need you to lean to the right side ..."

"What?"

"One."

"Wait."

"Two."

"What'd you say?"

"Three!"

Before I could protest further, I leaned right while Nhedri leaned left, she grabbed my arm, and I hers, and together we held on, pressed against Mayhee's side. The horse neighed and ducked. The portcullis bladed tips blurring past our heads. Next I knew, Nhedri pulled and we were both upright.

She gasped. "I'm glad that worked."

I steadied my own breath. "What do you mean, you're glad? You mean to tell me you thought it might not have?"