"Yeah, we'll call you," muttered Dray as the knight disappeared,"if we ever need someone mental." I laughed.

We climbed the last few steps and emerged onto a tiny landing, where the Gryffindors was already assembled. There were nodoors off this landing, but Dray nudged me and pointed at theceiling, where there was a circular trapdoor with a brass plaqueon it.

 " 'Sibyll Trelawney, Divination teacher,' "I read. "How'rewe supposed to get up there?"

Gryffindors stared, we scowled. "We had to do it with them?" asked Dray groaning. "Apparently" I said "no point moaning about it."

 As though in answer to my previous question, the trapdoor suddenlyopened, and a silvery ladder descended right at my feet.

 Everyone got quiet."After you," said Dray, grinning, so I climbed the ladderfirst I emerged intI the strangest-looking classroom he had everseen. In fact, it didn't look like a classroom at all, more like a cross between someone's attic and an old-fashioned tea shop. At leasttwenty small, circular tables were crammed inside it, all surrounded by chintz armchairs and fat little poufs. Everything was litwith a dim, crimson light; the curtains at the windows were allclosed, and the many lamps were draped with dark red scarves. Itwas stiflingly warm, and the fire that was burning under thecrowded mantelpiece was giving off a heavy, sickly sort of perfumeas it heated a large copper kettle. The shelves running around thecircular walls were crammed with dusty-looking feathers, stubs ofcandles, many packs of tattered playing cards, countless silverycrystal balls, and a huge array of teacups. 

Draco appeared at my shoulder as the Gryffindors assembled around us, all talking in whispers."Where is she?" Ron said.A voice came suddenly out of the shadows, a soft, misty sort ofvoice."Welcome," it said. "How nice to see you in the physical worldat last." 

my immediate impression was of a large, glittering insect.Professor Trelawney moved into the firelight, and they saw that shewas very thin; her large glasses magnified her eyes to several timestheir natural size, and she was draped in a gauzy spangled shawl.Innumerable chains and beads hung around her spindly neck, andher arms and hands were encrusted with bangles and rings. 

"Sit, my children, sit," she said, and they all climbed awkwardlyinto armchairs or sank onto poufs. me and Dray satthemselves around the same round table, beside harry ron and Hermione. 

"Welcome to Divination," said Professor Trelawney, who had seated herself in a winged armchair in front of the fire. "My nameis Professor Trelawney. You may not have seen me before. I findthat descending too often into the hustle and bustle of the mainschool clouds my Inner Eye." 

Nobody said anything to this extraordinary pronouncement, Draco stiffled a laugh, I nudge him sharply.Professor Trelawney delicately rearranged her shawl and continued,"So you have chosen to study Divination, the most difficult of allmagical arts. I must warn you at the outset that if you do not havethe Sight, there is very little I will be able to teach you. Books cantake you only so far in this field. . . ." 

At these words, both Draco glanced, grinning, at me, I looked startled at the news that books wouldn't bemuch help in this subject. I scowled at him, he flashed me a wink and smirk. "Many witches and wizards, talented though they are in the areaof loud bangs and smells and sudden disappearings, are yet unableto penetrate the veiled mysteries of the future," ProfessorTrelawney went on, her enormous, gleaming eyes moving fromface to nervous face. 

"It is a Gift granted to few. You, boy," she saidsuddenly to Neville, who almost toppled off his pouf. "Is yourgrandmother well?""I think so," said Neville tremulously."I wouldn't be so sure if I were you, dear," said ProfessorTrelawney, the firelight glinting on her long emerald earrings.Neville gulped.