Paul Route: Episode 5 Choice B

I didn't want to disappoint Quartz, but the almost challenging look that Paul was giving me made me seem sure that I would regret it if I tried going up against him with my pokemon already determined. My last battle with Paul had shown me that his pokemon were all insanely strong, and I needed to use every ounce of strategy that I could muster if I had a hope of even keeping up with him.

"Let's do a three-on-three," I suggested, looking over at Paul. He smirked lightly and shrugged.

"I was hoping for a six on six," he said and I was a little shocked at this revelation. Most trainers didn't have six-on-six training battles since they took so long and required a lot of stamina. But I grimaced slightly and shook my head.

"I only have five pokemon with me right now," I said, feeling Quartz holding onto my arm even tighter and I couldn't help but grin when I saw the challenging look he was giving Paul. I could almost picture him inwardly working up the courage to tell him to stop bullying me, but I rubbed his hair affectionately, pulling his gaze to me.

"I'll do my best in our battle, okay?" I promised and Quartz nodded emphatically.

"Fine, three-on-three will work. But Electivire and Chesnaught can't participate in this battle," Paul said with finality. I raised an eyebrow at him but shrugged my acceptance. I was curious, but not curious enough to open the gate to more insults from him.

The flock of kids that had been playing with me followed Paul and me to the back of the Pokemon Center where we took opposite sides of a practice battlefield. I reached for a Pokeball at my hip and I was surprised when Paul reached for one without waiting to see who I was choosing. A blind battle, huh? This should be fun.

"Best two out of three?" I called over to him and Paul shrugged.

"This is for training, I want to see all three of your pokemon," he responded, tossing his Pokeball up once and catching it without releasing his pokemon. I quirked one eyebrow up in irritation and felt my lips tug down into a sarcastic frown.

"Why do I feel like you are anticipating winning every round?" I asked, annoyance making my voice come out tight. Paul smirked without saying anything and I let out a "tch" sound like he so often did.

"Don't underestimate me, twit," I growled, and then stiffened when I heard several young voices gasping. Paul's eyes glittered with hidden amusement as I covered my mouth with my hands, grateful that I hadn't used a stronger insult than that.

Glowering angrily at him, I tossed my Pokeball out and Paul threw his out a beat after me. I stared for a moment in wonder as I saw Paul's lanky Centiskorch paired up against my Drednaw. As a water/rock type, Drednaw had a clear advantage in this battle and I thought I saw a spark of annoyance in Paul's countenance.

I plunged into the battle on full offensive-mode. Even though Paul's Centiskorch raised his attack and defense as high as they would go with its Coil move, Drednaw's tenacity and powerful rock type moves proved their prowess, and Drednaw emerged victorious. The little kids I had played with cheered excitedly at my victory, and I was surprised to find that I was breathing heavily.

Dang, this guy is crazy! That battle should not have taken so long when the odds were so stacked against him, I thought to myself as I returned Drednaw to his Pokeball and reached for the next one.

This time our blind picks were not in my favor. I had chosen my Simisear and I nearly let out a groan when Paul sent out a Seismitoad. Within three moves Simisear had fainted on the ground before me and I growled quietly, taking a mental note that I needed to improve Simisear's defensive strategy.

When I returned Simisear, I gasped as I realized I had just made a HUGE mistake and slapped my hand to my head. Paul was giving me a knowing smirk and I glared over at him as I slowly reached for my last Pokeball.