Paul Route: Episode 4 Choice B

An awkward silence stretched between us as I wrestled with what to do. After what seemed like forever, Paul took a step as if to leave me and my hand whipped out like a Seviper and snagged the bottom of his jacket, pulling him to a stop. He turned and leveled the most intimidating glare I had ever seen towards me, making me gulp, but I steeled my nerves and plunged forward.

"Will you come with me after we finish the gym challenge?" I asked, my words coming out rushed and jumbled from my nervousness. Paul blinked slowly, seeming to process what I had said before his nose wrinkled in a look of disdain.

"Come again?" he growled out, but I had already stuck my neck out this far so I decided to see it through.

"I promise I won't talk or do anything to annoy you. Just... just please let me go through the woods with you." My grip on Paul's jacket tightened as I tried to figure out what I could offer him to make him stay with me. Although the more I thought of it the more I wondered if fear had made me go insane.

This is the guy that thinks I have no business being a trainer... why would I even WANT to travel with him? I thought to myself and my grip slowly slackened on his jacket. Just when I was about to let go completely though, I heard a harsh sigh coming from Paul and I blinked up at him to see him frowning heavily at me.

"I won't wait for you," Paul said with a stern expression and I blinked, feeling my hopes become crushed under the weight of his uncaring expression.

What else did I expect? I thought to myself, letting my fingers slip from the hem of his jacket. Before I could nod my understanding though, Paul continued speaking.

"You do the gym challenge first. If you lose, then I'm leaving you behind," Paul said with a grunt, sounding like it was almost painful for him to get the words out. I blinked in shock and jerked my head up to look at him once again.

"Wait... so..." I said in disbelief. Paul scowled at me and jerked his thumb towards the pokemon center.

"Go heal up your pokemon and get to the gym, already. Before I change my mind," Paul growled with annoyance and relief flooded my entire body.

"Right!" I agreed excitedly, not believing that Paul was actually going to escort me through the forest.

We both healed up our pokemon and I was a little shocked when Paul followed me to the gym. It was still early afternoon, even though the town seemed shrouded in perpetual darkness because of the tall trees shading everything from the sun. The townspeople seemed cheerful though, and I had to admit that the glowing mushrooms placed around the town gave it a charming feel. Although it was all just a little bit on the creepy side for me.

"Hey, pretty lady!"

I yelped as something clutched at my wrist. With my heart pounding, I turned around to see a mischievous little boy looking up at me excitedly with one tooth missing from his wide smile. A snigger from behind me made me glare over at Paul. Seeing that he was giving me a mocking grin I stuck my tongue out at him swiftly before turning back to the little boy.

"Can I help you?" I asked, trying to get my racing heartbeat to calm down.

"Will you come with me? My friends are doing a scavenger hunt and we have to bring something pretty. Will you be my something pretty?" The little boy's eyes shimmered with youthful adulation and I felt myself blushing slightly. Paul sniggered even louder in a non-verbal cue of what HE thought of this development and I scowled over at him briefly before smiling down at the boy.

"I'd be happy to. But I have to go challenge the gym right after, so we'll have to be fast."

"But Grammy Opal isn't at the gym today," the little boy said with a frown and I blinked in confusion.