Cassie: Dream #12 from Homecoming Night

Will and I visit the garden from my dreams again, the garden with the labyrinth of purple vines. He takes my hand, and we step across the flagstones, turning each corner, hand-in-hand. This way. He leads me through the maze until we reach the fountain where the water sparkles like diamonds in the moonlight.

Holding me in his arms, we kiss and laugh, circling around together like we did at the Homecoming dance, and the music plays from inside his head. Around and around we go, until the flowers blend their colors together, becoming blurred and disorienting. Then, everything dims. It’s colder, darker. A growing pressure builds in my head until it feels like someone is twisting a drill into my brain. The pain is almost unbearable.

Cassandra… A man’s voice echoes in my thoughts. You Passed the Test.

What test? Is this man one of my teachers? I don’t recognize his voice.

I push away from Will, trying to clear my head, shake away the pain, and concentrate on the single male voice. I see nothing around the man. Nothing, but darkness.

Will? Did you anchor to me?

No answer. Will just stares at me with his mouth open, frozen in place. I wave my hand in front of his eyes. He doesn’t even blink.

Images flash through my brain, one right after another. A little boy is trapped in a burning building. I’m limping through a dark hallway. Will is bent over someone in my driveway. The images overwhelm me, and I crumple onto the flagstones in the garden, holding my head to prevent the pain from lacerating my brain. Will breaks out of his petrified state and helps me back onto my feet, cradling me in his arms.

***

 Book Two of the Children of the Psi series, DARKNESS DESCENDS continues the story of Cassie and Will, but mostly from Will's point of view. Now that he has sworn to protect Cassie, is he going to be able to keep his promise as a dark presence invades their lives. DARKNESS DESCENDS is available at: Amazon.com. Soon available on Nook and Kobo.

You can read a sample chapter here on Wattpad. Just click on my page and look for the Works Section.

About The Author

Kathleen Suzette Harsch lives with her family in Florida, where she is working on the next book in the Children of the Psi series by night and teaching middle school language arts by day. Darkness Descends Book Two is now available at Amazon.com.

Ever since she was a little girl, ESP, ghosts and dreams intrigued her. Like Annie, she’s also in love with the idea of love. When she’s not writing or teaching, she frequently haunts libraries and bookstores. Read more about Kathleen and The Children of the Psi series at:

http://kathleenharsch.blogspot.com/