Chapter 12: Family

Family

Hey Psi Child. Will meets me outside History.

I smile up at him. Hey Impossible.

"Oh, excuse me, Will." Jessica says. She squeezes between us in her tight skinny jeans, even though there's plenty of room for her to go around us.

He ignores her, and so do I. Instead, I circle my arms around his and say, "Let's eat lunch in the cafeteria today."

"Are you sure?" Will cocks his head to the side, and smiles.

"Yep." I bounce up on my toes and kiss him on the cheek. "Absolutely."

I'm sick of Jessica Byrnes.

Besides, Annie keeps asking me to sit at lunch with her and Paul again, and the dream I had last night freaked me out. I need some more Annie Sunshine in my life. As far as the hundred or so "voices" in the cafeteria which might break through, I've been at this school for a while, and I have the perfect anchor to sit beside me. Will. He can keep all the "voices" from attacking me. Including Jessica's.

If I have a problem, I'll just anchor to you. "Come on."

Fine by me. He smiles and kisses me.

By the time Jessica picks up her lunch, I'm already seated quite comfortably next to Will with Annie and Paul and the rest of their group. When she sees me, her face pinches up and turns livid red. She storms over to me like she's ready to char me alive.

Paul's friend, Juan says something unrelated to Jessica, which makes everyone hysterical. At being ignored by Will's friends, Jessica shakes her dark pony-tail and rages toward a nearby table, settling in with some of her other friends.

I know I'll pay for it later, but she deserves it.

"Don't let Jessica bother you. She needs to get over it already," Annie whispers to me.

So, she did notice Jessica's reaction. I wasn't sure because no one seemed to acknowledge her approaching or leaving the table. Almost like she became invisible. A pang of guilt plays tug of war with my earlier sense of satisfaction.

"You need some cherry Jell-O." Annie says, all bright and cheery. "Here, have mine." She pushes over a plastic container of red Jell-O with chunks of mystery fruit suspended in it in front of me.

I shake my head, but Annie sticks a clean plastic spoon into it.

"You need Jell-O," Annie insists. "No one can eat Jell-O and remain upset about anything. I mean, look at how it jiggles!" She moves the plastic cup back and forth, so we can watch the red mass ripple.

Will laughs, and so do I.

"Give it over. I'll eat it."

To make her happy, I spoon a couple of bites into my mouth before pushing away the red mush.

Ooh, too sweet.

I like sweet. Will grabs it and finishes the Jell-O off in two bites.

"Hey!" Annie protests when she catches him finishing off my Jell-O. "Well, I have something better anyway."

"And that is?' I ask.

"A girl's night out. We haven't hung out in ages. The guys have football practice and work tonight. So...you're coming over for a girl's night out." Annie crosses her arms all proud of herself for coming up with this plan on the fly.

"Can't. Family night. Dinner with the Duncan's."

"Oh, that's right. I forgot Monday night dinner," Annie says.