Chapter 12: Possibilities

Ian sat across Mabel at Mon Plaisir, a very famous classical French Restaurant in Piccadilly. They had both ordered Coq Au Vin as they enjoyed a sunny London day at a table placed at the restaurant's curbside. Both of them sipped their wine as they discussed a marketing strategy for Mabel's real estate business. Mabel, close to fifty-three, was a woman of immense charm. She used to model as a young girl and she still looked like one. Ian enjoyed their hearty banter -- he chatted with the woman about matters pertaining business, world politics and women. Her honesty was refreshing, and their candid tête-à-tête made for a delightful lunch.
"Ian, tell me, how is a man like you still single?" Mabel unashamedly admired him with her gaze.
"Mabel, if you are telling me I am a catch - you couldn't be more wrong! Women tend to stay away from me...they tell me I am a difficult man to be with." Ian candidly informed her.
Mabel was beside herself with suprise, "Why might you be called difficult?"
"Because, I am."
Mabel looked him in the eyes, "I don't know you very well, Ian, but you don't come across as difficult. You just don't seem very big on sharing."
"There isn't much to tell."
"Tell me, how was it, meeting your family after two years? Your sister? Your grandmother? Do they love it that you are here?"
"Of course!"
After waiting for him to continue, Mabel let out a frustrated sigh, "Ian, that's so evasive!"
Ian smirked a little, "I think you want know more."
"Yes! I mean, ladies want you to open up. You aren't difficult, just a man of few words. Maybe try explaining your side of things to people more and they'll see you differently!"
Ian took the cue and started to elaborate, "My sister is ecstatic that I am here. I went to see my grandmother yesterday, and it was bittersweet."
"Why would a reunion between a grandson and his grandmother be bittersweet?"
"My visit reminded her of my mother and father."
"Why is that a bad thing?"
"Because they died in a car crash."
"Oh! I am very sorry to hear that Ian."
"My grandmother forgets most things. She has Alzheimer's. But sometimes people or incidents trigger memories that we assume she has forgotten."
Ian did not wish to elaborate any further on the subject, and Mabel witnessed his hesitation and decided not to pry.
She then changed the subject of the conversation, "No woman in your life? Just casual dating?"
"Well, the last I was out with a woman was over two months ago."
"You don't say! Why rob women of the amazing gift that you are?"
Ian gave a hearty laugh, "You really have a talent for flattery!"
"Ian, it comes from a place of complete honesty!" She stated sincerely.
Ian shrugged and divulged something to Mabel that dumfounded even him, "I have been obsessing over my best friend's girlfriend of late...does that count?"
"Really?!"
Ian found that speaking about it out loud was even more disturbing than he had imagined it to be, "Forget I said that."
"I don't think I can...your friend and this girl, are they serious?"
"Not really...I mean, this friend of mine, he is never serious about any girl...he moves from one to the next in no time."
"Why don't you let him know that you are interested in her?"
"I don't want to...."
"Why?"
"Because, it is weird. I don't know her at all. What will she think about me after knowing all this? She might find me stalker-ish!"
"Ian, I think you are going a bit overboard here! If your friend isn't serious about her, I think he won't mind stepping back, he is your best friend, you say?"
"Well, yeah, he is."
"He will be glad you came to him and let him know the honest truth."
Ian skeptically nodded his head, "Maybe what you are saying makes sense...."
"I know it does." Mabel replied self-assuredly.

Later in the day Ian headed to a pub to watch a rugby match along with other sports enthusiasts. His mind was only half in the game as he reflected on what Mabel had said to him, he couldn't believe that he was actually considering doing just that. He wanted to tell Jake; he knew their years of friendship was strong enough to handle this little bump and since him and Tara had just started to date, he might not consider stepping aside that big of a deal.
"I don't think you are that interested in the game!" A female's voice shook Ian out of his deep reverie.
Ian stared into the eyes of an attractive brunette with blue eyes. He smiled at her and lied, "On the contrary, I am completely invested in it."
"Pity!" She replied coyly.
"Why is that?" Ian asked, entirely aware of the flirtatious undertone in her remark.
"I was thinking if the game doesn't interest you, we could head out and find other ways to amuse ourselves."
Ian didn't want to say no to her. He just wanted a night of mindless sex. He wanted to stop thinking about Tara and the impossibilities of his life in New York.
Ian decided it was his turn to be amorous, "I am staying here with family. Would you like to take me home with you?"
The brunette looked at the gorgeous hunk in front of her, naked lust glistened in her eyes, "Follow me!"
A taxi dropped Ian and the brunette in front of a modern apartment building in Leicester Square. Ian rode the elevator with her to an apartment on the sixth floor. The moment the two entered the apartment, the brunette jumped on Ian and he also lunged at her. Their mouths met in insatiable want. The kiss grew deeper and more heathen as they entered the bedroom, entangled in one another. The brunette ripped open Ian's shirt and Ian unzipped her dress. They both landed on the bed tasting each other's bodies. She pushed him down and went on top of him and for a moment Ian let his imagination take the better of him -- he imagined that the brunette moving on top of him was not a random girl he had picked at a pub, but Tara. She moved and he closed his eyes, "Tara! Tara!"
Her rhythm deafened his senses to all that was around him. His reality was Tara on top of him and with his eyes closed, he was blind to everything but the rhythm of her movement.
"Tara!" When her movement became too much for him to bear, he flipped her over, landing on top of her. He plunged into her again and again -- giving her and himself a sweet release.