Chapter 11 The Weak and the Strong

"H-hey Princess Sierra, what are you doing here?" I ask thinking this is too good to be true.

"I'm just passing by on my way back to Cistan. Seeing as your brother is going to be coronated, I came to say my congratulations," she explains in a dignified manner that makes me start to think that she's like a living, breathing representation of formality. And a beautiful one at that.

"W-well maybe you could-" I start but...

"Princess!" A guard with Cistan's sigil runs to us in a panic, panting as he stops. "It seems Prince Hugh is arriving at the Capital City soon."

Sierra's mood turns to that of pure annoyance as once majestic and dignified is replaced with a frown and her hands clench into tight fists. "Ugh! I can't believe this. Fine, let's go."

"Wait, I know it's not my place, but what is the Tollenisi Prince doing there?" I ask with curiosity.

"He's trying to court me. And he's doing that by getting through my father," she says practically spitting out every word.

I suddenly feel angry and jealous. Why is it that even in royalty Tollen is trying to compete with Lumiere? Even in romance? Are we truly rivals in anything? Well honestly I'm not quite surprised as Lumiere and Tollen have had a long rivalry.

As I think on it, an idea pops up in my head that separates my mind to both thinking it's crazy, or necessary. My brain debates on whether to go through with it as I think of the benefits and the losses should the plan either succeed or fail. And the struggle ends with me choosing it's necessary at this point.

I take a deep breath and muster up as much courage as I can."Hey, c-can I..."

"What?" Sierra asks in an impatient tone. It's pretty obvious she's in a hurry.

"C-can I c-court you too?"

After the words fall out my mouth, my stomach feels that it could flip and my mind is mentally exhausted.

At first she is silent as if to process what I said, and soon she starts laughing hard which confuses me, her guard, and my own ones. After she stops, she looks at me.

"Listen, I can't."

A wave of disbelief flood inside my mind but I expected it. Her considering to marry a monarch from a much weaker kingdom... borderline idiocy if I'm honest. Worth the attempt though... "Ah...yes I understand. Umm...may I try when we get older perhaps?"

She responds with a mocking smirk that actually surprises me. "No."

"Eh? Why?"

"Because why would I allow someone from a weaker kingdom to court me? Now or when I'm older? Also, I've had enough of pathetic idiots from the other kingdoms trying to ask for my hand in marriage. I know what people like you are after. And I'm not giving it to you. Maybe when you've proven yourself to not being one of them then perhaps I'll consider it." She responds with a hiss that I'm just taken aback.

My insides start to twist as my feet start feeling cold. "Then... why let that Tollenisi court you?"

She scoffs at my question. "Do you honestly think that I like it as well!? I have no other choice but to accept it for the time being! We don't really have a say in the matter!"

"Then maybe I can help-"

She has another laugh. "You? Help me? Please don't overestimate yourself. With your power do you honestly think you have a chance against Tollen's military?"

I look at her with a determined face. "We're planning on getting stronger. We will go through a period that will surpass that of the Old Kingdom of Lumiere."