Chapter 13 Who's The King

A few minutes earlier...

In the back areas of the palace, a small group of Lumieri guards patrol the garden. Due to most of the soldiers within the Capital at the front as well as manning the walls of the city, the back areas are undermanned. To alleviate this, the Royal Family assigned one of their best officers to take command of the soldiers there.

Footsteps echo the yard as a Lumieri guard patrols the area. His footsteps and breath are the only sounds heard through his dark surroundings. Boots hit cobblestone and each step is slow with caution as the guard looks around in fear. Despite being alone, he can't shake the feeling he's being watched. Like there's something near him.

His nervousness continues as a shadowy figure grabs his left shoulder and the guard freezes on the spot in fear.

"Too stiff." A gruff voice states with a sigh.

The guard turns around and is relieved seeing the newcomer. "Captain Filas sir!"

The newcomer, Filas, responds by giving the guard a small bonk on his helmet. "You're too nervous, loosen up a little lad." Filas states with look of boredom.

"Y-Yes sir!" The guard salutes.

Filas replies with a sigh. "Still too stiff lad, just relax. If you keep being on guard too much, you'll fail to notice tiny details with obvious answers and end up failing to respond. Like just now, I just walked in on you and you were too engrossed in patrolling that you didn't notice me."

The guard heeds the captain's advice and takes a deep breath to relax.

"Good...that's it." Filas sports a smile and calls in more guards. "Make sure every corner's been checked, every tiny hole you can look into has to be inspected. And can someone please bring more torches in here. It's so dark you can hardly see anything three feet in front you."

"But we already lit this area up sir, the torches should still be burning. Strange how they just went out..." A guard states whilst gathering another batch of torches in order to light up the area.

Upon hearing this, a chill climbs up the captain's spine. He felt something was wrong and he smiled at it. "I see...that's how it is...Men! Prepare for battle!"

The call for battle startled the guards and they all looked at Filas in shock and confusion. "Sir?"

"Are you all deaf!? I said arm yourselves damnit! The enemy's here!" Filas all but growls, irritated at the sheer ineptitude of his men to respond to orders.

Filas and his men look around the garden, the atmosphere being that of uneasiness as they feel something's coming closer and closer to them.

Not long after, figures emerge from the shadows and Smile Filas wore earlier grows wider. "Come on then, get a taste of Lumieri steel!"

The figures stand still for but a few moments and then charge as sparks from clashing metal fly throughout the garden.

...

Inside his room, Louise is straightening his clothes as he looks at the mirror. He fixes his hair with the utmost delicateness and smiles in front of the mirror. Knowing that this will be the first impression he makes on the representatives of their former territories, he needs to show elegance and power.

As he fixes his suit, he remembers the events that transpired prior to the coronation. Truth be told he was surprised that Leo actually developed a romantic interest in someone and for that to be the princess of Cistan is more than a shock. But meeting the dignified and refined princess, he immediately saw a strong and capable leader and in his mind, commended his brother for choosing wisely.