Chapter 19 A King's Fury

Third POV

Robert is pacing around the command tent in a panic. Sweat trickles all around his body as he waits Leo's arrival. The reason for his fear is because not only did the diplomats he sent to Vellia were killed, but the guards that went along with them were wiped out to the last man with their heads being adorned at the Vellian Lord's castle. The fact that his first attempt of being in command as a general has ended like this not only scares him, but frustrates him to no end.

In addition to this, King Leo's response to his missive was a simple, "I'm coming."

This simple reply was like a splash of cold water to his face. Leo was coming. And he was angry. The extent of his anger was unknown as the only time he saw a truly enraged Leo was when he...

(Three years ago...)
Robert's POV

Late... I'm running late. King Leo told me to meet him as we were supposed to head to those that aided the assasins in storming the Royal Palace. The ones that gave them weapons as well as the layout of the palace and guard positions. When I read the message that it was Lumiere's own spy network, I was aghast. The very same group that were supposed to provide us information and sabotage the enemy if need be, just betrayed us after all those decades of service to the kings of Lumiere. The very same nation they swore to protect with their lives.

Three days earlier, the court was in an outrage when they found out about this, most especially the former queen, King Leo's mother. She wanted to round up the spies and interrogate them as to find out the reason for their betrayal. She was about to give her personal guards the order when King Leo, who was now at the age of 14, stopped her and gave a far more terrifying order. He ordered the top echelons of the spies to be captured and the rest purged. His parents were about to dissuade Leo from doing that but stopped when they saw the look on Leo's face. I too was pale at the sight as I've never seen his face so twisted with rage. His eyes were burning with vengeance and a menacing aura could be felt around him. The rest of the attendees were also in silent submission, even General Frederick who I would've expected to at least talk to him. The Dragon General's face was glued to the floor like a child being scolded by his parent. Even he didn't want to challenge Leo's wrath, and that scares me...greatly.

He then assigned the people in charge of his orders which all of us expected to be me. But to our collective surprise, he assigned it to a someone else. But he wasn't just anyone, but the captain who served under the king's brother, Captain Deceus.

When Captain Deceus was told of his mission, not only did he bow with great fervour, but he also had the look of someone planning to start a massacre. It was a given as he was a good friend of Prince Louise and the fact that he always felt responsible for his death because of what he believes is a grave mistake on his part since according to him, he should've been there with him instead of being at the front of the palace with most of the guards. He quickly gathered his men, most of whom were once under Louise's command and once he explained their mission, they had smiles and enraged faces as they immediately ran out of the palace screaming for murder.

What happened next was nothing short of a slaughter. The abandoned districts at the western end of the Lunoire, which was used as the base of the spies was set aflame. The ground was littered with ash and blood. The smell of burning flesh whiffed through the air and I bore witness to the slaughter as my men and I were brought along to accompany the king as he watched it happen. Men were being dragged out their hidden passages and hacked to pieces. Swords met flesh and bone and you can hear sickening cracks as they breathed their last. And it was far from painless. Others came out voluntarily to surrender and got cut down by a rain of arrows as they zoomed through the air and hit their mark with piercing accuracy. Gargled noises are heard as they choke out their blood probably attempting to ask for mercy or surrender, but none was given. It was no quarter. No mercy. No survivors.