Chapter 21 The Gates of Vellia

THIRD POV

A week has passed as the Lumieri Army arrived on the outskirts of Vellia. A force of fifty thousand Lumieri, most of whom had yet to complete their training were pulled by Leo to begin an offensive against Vellia. The first move he made was to capture the surrounding towns and villages to encircle the city, most of these simply let the Lumieri in without a fight. Others tried to form some sort of resistance but they were just swept away by the advancing Lumieri Army under the joint command of Leo, Robert, and Frederick.

The speed at which the Lumieri took the towns by storm was a sight to behold as within a week, Vellia lost the towns it claimed as theirs and is now currently surrounded on all sides by Lumiere.

Vellia, in this time has been a powder keg ready to explode. The lower levels were put under strict guard as rumors began to fly about Lumieri supporters within the citizenry have been planning to start a revolt inside the city so as to help Lumiere with the siege. Platoons of guards roam the streets and archers place themselves on the roofs watching the streets for suspicious movements.

The defenses meanwhile have been continuously reinforced. Catapults lined the outer walls in preparation for the siege. Vellia's military was in a rush preparing to receive their larger Lumieri counterparts.

As these events unfold in the lower levels below, the upper levels had a different activity.

"The Lumieri are at our doorstep!" A voice booms through the meeting hall as the man slams his hands into the table. The force was enough to vibrate the hall as the other attendees flinched. The meeting, being held at the largest table in the hall where all fifteen heads of the nobility sat. "What have you been doing to stop this General Ainhar?"

The man, Ainhar, eases back into his chair, disinterested. "Preserving our forces Sir Eisentrop. We won't be able to beat the Lumieri in open battle with their numbers. Which is why I allowed this siege to happen so as to slaughter them more easily than it would fighting in the field and possibly getting overwhelmed. Not to mention the presence of the Dragon General, Frederick Hulls who is virtually unstoppable when mounting a cavalry charge. Forcing him here negates his ability to charge straight at us thereby decreasing our casualty rates and increasing our chances of victory."

"So you planned on using our city as a battlefield!?" Another man yells out. "Why were we never informed of this!?"

"Because you louts would start complaining and we'd never find an alternative in time."

The new voice has the attendees present stand as they look at the entrance and find the current leader of Vellia, Gilbert Fayne. The man that overthrew the Agincourt family off Vellia's seat of leadership, and the man who triggered the war with the Lumieri.

"Sir Gilbert..."

"Ah..."

The entire hall is brought to silence as their leader strolls inside, every step seemingly increasing the discomfort of the attendees. This was because Gilbert is a man of low tolerance. Executions would be commonplace for those who irked him in the slightest and would be carried out on the spot.

Gilbert heads to the middle chair and places himself next to both Ainhar and one of the noble heads. "Now then, shall I continue before all of you yell out your misgivings?"

The question is met a wave of nods demanding for the reason as to why their primary city is to be used as the main battlefield.

"The reason I decided to make the decisive battle a siege, is because time is on our side."

"What?"

The confused looks of the nobles present made Gilbert click his tongue in irritation. "Attrition you idiots! Attrition! I've been stockpiling supplies underneath the keep for a good long while and we can sustain ourselves for at least a few years. The Lumieri meanwhile have a timetable. They can't starve us to death because of one factor..."