Chapter 2 General Hunting

As night arrived, I went to the throne room to meet with my father and brother. The large room now lit around by chandeliers thanks to the darkness of night.

"Ah, at last you arrived Leo," my father says with wide smile.

I've never seen that big of a smile being directed towards me by my father. He only grins that large when he's with my mother. And thinking about it, well...I don't really get it why he's so happy when my mother's around but may be I'll understand when I grow older.

"We've been waiting for you little brother, we planned to start once you've arrived."

I look at Louise and smile. "Thanks big brother.

"Now, I'll be blunt about the situation our military is in," Father starts to get our attention. "we need more generals and officers."

We both stare at him in confusion. "Why?"

"We'll need generals to lead the army. Since General Erwin's the only one we have, we have to look for others. And more officers in order to relay information faster as well having a much more effective leadership and system. And since we plan on expanding, we need them to have a wider range of command with us only needing to oversee the wider range of a war," he says with a shrug.

"But how will we find good generals?" I ask. I mean, they don't just pop up in some random place or grow from trees.

My father puffs his chest at the question. "Don't worry, your mother already found them."

Both my brother and I are in shock. "WHAT?!" My jaw is wide open in disbelief. Why? How? What? Mother?? Not General Erwin or the other officers in the army, no matter how few they are? Not them but my mother? I had a small feeling of pride alongside the shock. I've always known that my mother is very nice to people and loves interacting with others, but being able to find men to lead armies?

"H-how could mother know great generals?!" Louise asks, his eyes wide enough that they could probably fall out.

My father chuckles, "Did you forget, your mother was the 'Jewel of Lumiere'. Because of that, she had quite a number of suitors after her. Which included me of course."

Ah yes, I remember that story. They always tell us that my mother was perhaps the most beautiful woman in Lumiere. And how she and Father met when her family was visiting the Royal Palace. What we can't believe is how Mother fell for father. Louise and I just look at father doubtfully and Louise proceeds to ask. "And she chose to marry you why exactly?"

Father gives another chuckle and stands a little straighter. "Son, why wouldn't she?"

His statement and the way he said just makes my eyes want to pop out in disbelief and shock. I lean over to Louise and see that he also has a similar face to mine. "He's definitely messing with us right?"

Louise nods. "Yeah, definitely."

My father clears his throat as he looks at us with annoyance, obviously knowing what we're thinking. "Let's discuss the matter at hand shall we?"

My brother and I both nod. Best not to sour his mood even more seeing as Mother hasn't returned yet. Maybe once she returns we'll resume this tomfoolery.

Father then takes out the list and points to its first name. "Now, the first general you will find is Frederick Hulls."

My eyes widen. "Is that the rumored 'Dragon General?"

My father nods. "Yes, that's him. He was the youngest general we ever had. Got the title when he was 23 years old."

"Why did he retire?" I ask.

My father sighs. "He was forced to retire. I think you know who forced him."

My brother's eyes and mine narrow as we both say, "The Empire of Tollen."

"Correct." Was my father's only response. Tollen, the most powerful country in this continent. Refusing their will is like inviting thousands of Tollenisi soldiers to come marching into your territory.

"The Empire saw him as a threat and warned us of war if he didn't retire. Although our armies were still weak, he alone had the power to make it seem like they're fighting well-trained soldiers." My father says as he looks like he's reminiscing his younger days. He always did have trouble maintaining order and stability throughout the territories and had to quell several uprisings. And I guess Frederick's performance in those rebellions got the Empire's attention.

"And where is he now?"

My father responds by pointing an area covered with mountains on the map. "He resides in Ravage Rock. There's a village there."

"That's gonna be difficult. With all those mountains I'll feel sorry for the one heading there." I say with a chuckle.

My father laughs. "That's funny Leo since you're the one going."

My smile quickly changes to confusion. "Eh?"