Episode 2: Escaping North (3)

I looked at the floor around me. There was opened bandages, cotton pads and antiseptic wipes lying everywhere. It seems like she panicked finding these to help clean and bandage up my wound.

I moved my arm a little. It was a slight pain and burning sensation but bearable. "Thanks."

She nodded and turned away while packing some of the medical stuff into her bag.

"Let's grab a few of those as well." I pointed to the bottles of painkillers and a small emergency first aid kit in the distance.

* * *

She suddenly spoke up, "I'm... Rose."

"Hm? Say again?"

"...we, I mean, I didn't properly introduce myself earlier... I'm Rose."

"Ah... hi Rose, I'm-"

My head started throbbing again. I guess I used too much strength to walk up and around. I leaned against the wall.

"You... alright? Maybe you should lie down a bit. I'll go pack the remaining stuff..."

"It's okay, I'm fine. We need to get going ASAP[1]."

I chucked a few bottles of water into my bag along with the 'instant dark coffee' beside it.

"Instant coffee? Whatever..." I said as I picked it up and shoved it in my bag.

* * *

A few moments later, a cold sense of aura poured into the surroundings. It was as if something or someone was watching us. I slowly walked backwards as I extend my arms back.

"Rose... walk back... slowly. I feel like someone is watching us."

"I... okay..." Rose said as she inspected the ceiling corners.

"Over there!" she pointed.

I looked and saw the CCTV staring straight at us.

It swayed a little to the left, then to the right as if hinting something. I climbed the fallen shelf towards my left. I poked my head out and saw a squad of soldiers patrolling the area.

The CCTV once again swayed and this time stopped at an angle facing beside me. Is it trying to tell me this is the best route of escape?

The area was unclear to me. Sevco was a place I used to come hanging out every week with my friends but after being trashed like this, it's unrecognisable, even for me.

Wait. Wait a moment.

Friends...?

Huh?

I felt a throbbing pain as I tried to dig deeper into my memories. It was no use, I couldn't recall coming here with friends in the past.

...

This weird feeling...

"Erm... are you alright...? I think... we should get going or else..." Rose said with a concerned look on her face.

I looked up once again and said, "Seems like 'it' wants us to escape that way."

She looked back and nodded. We hurried our way out of the store towards the stairs.

It was hard to navigate through Sevco without meeting deadends formed by the scattered debris. Fortunately, we trusted the 'being' behind the CCTV as it guided us through the area one by one.

"Hey, Ray!"

I turned around and asked, "Sorry I didn't catch that! What did you say?"

"Nothing... erm... I mean, why are we heading to the security room?" she pointed.