Episode 2: Escaping North (2)

We headed North. The wind was blowing fiercely and all we could see were crashed cars and burning buildings. People screamed and ran around aimlessly.

A little boy and her mother was stuck inside a flipped car. Some people gathered and got the car back on it's foot, but it was too late.

Her mother had her arms and body wrapped around the young boy. She shielded the impact but for her, she lost too much blood and fainted.

The group managed to get the young boy out but one of the mother's leg was stuck under the seats.

"Hey! Hey! Wake up!" we heard from the distance.

"It's no use, she's unconscious."

"Hey! Hurry up! It's leaking gas!"

"Shit! What about the kid!?"

"..."

"Bring him along and let's go!"

And they left. The group took the unconscious kid and abandoned the mother.

A few seconds later.

*BOOM*

A huge cloud of smoke rose from the explosion knocking us back. She fell over and tears started falling down her cheeks as she slowly covered her mouth.

"*Sniff* *Sniff* This... *Sniff* why..." she cried.

"..." Silence, as the car turned into debris.

I looked away from the bloody scene; my hands trembling in fear as I held on to my phone.

—————

Janda: "You're probably confused now but don't think and just escape North towards the Transport Museum"

Janda: "NOW"

—————

Janda's message vaguely filled my brain.

"Escape North", "NOW" was all I could think of. My bruises throbbing as fresh red blood drip down my arm covering my phone screen.

I slid the phone into my pocket, reached out, grabbed her shaking left hand and took her away, away from the miserable scene in front.

We continued heading north.

* * *

I dragged her along the dismantled, wrecked streets as we headed north.

As time passed, my clear consciousness began to cloud. The loud noises started to echo throughout my head as my vision became blurred. I staggered and fell down on one leg.

"Ugh... shit. This is not the time!"

I looked back at her expressionless face. She was completely stiff and out of this world.

"Hey, are you alrig-" I mumbled with my shaky voice as I stumbled and fell while holding her hands covered in blood and dragging her down with me.

Her head hit my back as she tumbled and came to her senses.

My blood encapsulated our hands, dripping slowly into the void within the ground.

Her eyes widen as she slowly realised I was heavily bleeding.

"Hey, hey! Are you alright!?"

"Ah," I thought to myself. This was the question I was going to ask her. How ironic.

My consciousness was fading and falling into a deep sleep. I couldn't hear nor make out what was going on around me.

* * *

Slowly, my tingling eyes opened as I was blinded by flashing white lights from above. Heaven? I don't believe in these things but it was warm and comfortable.

I tilted my head slightly and saw a yellow figure. My head throbbing and my vision blurred but I could still make out who it was.

"...the girl..."

"Hm?"

She lifted her head facing me.

"You... okay?"

"Stop talking. I'm trying to apply a bandage on you," she whimpered.

I could hear her slight sniffing as she slowly wrapped the remaining bandage and clipped the end.

I slowly got up and looked at the surrounding.

"We're in... Sevco[1]?"

She nodded.

The big but empty place filled with rubble scattered everywhere. Fallen empty shelves littered the area.

"I dragged... I mean, brought you here."

"Yeah... seems like it."

"Sorry."

"...? For what?"

"...for injuring your arm..." she said staring at my bandage.

"Ah... it's alright, don't worry."

"And... thank you... for saving me back there... twice," she murmured as I recalled what happened at the accommodation.

~~~~~

She dived out the window towards the green bushes below. A gust of wind blew her off track as she was free falling, but on towards the hard, rough stone floor.

"Hey! Over here not there-" I shouted as I dashed towards her and leaped.

She fell and landed on both my arms but I belly flopped the ground floor.

"Ugh..." we both muttered.

She opened her eyes and quickly shot up, took my arm and helped me up.

"Hey! You alright?"

She looked at my arm. There was a fragmented piece of glass stuck on the side near my shoulder. She pulled it out and started applying pressure on the small wound.

"Here, put pressure on your arm."

I heard her vaguely but my attention was adverted elsewhere. My phone was lying on the floor with Janda's message open.

"Escape... North...?"

"What?" She questioned.

After a brief moment of confusion, I got up while she was still knelt down.

I decided, "We are going North."

~~~~~

*****

[1] 'Sevco' is a fictional shopping mall.