𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎

❝𝙽𝚘, 𝙸 𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚒𝚗 𝚊 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚐𝚘𝚗𝚜, 𝚊𝚜 𝙸 𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚒𝚗 𝚊 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚖𝚊𝚐𝚒𝚌, 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚒𝚜 𝚊 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚖𝚢𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚢, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚒𝚜 𝚊 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚏𝚊𝚒𝚝𝚑.❞ 

𝚛.𝚊. 𝚜𝚊𝚕𝚟𝚊𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚎

There's a couple of things Eris loved that she shouldn't have if she'd want to fit in the image that people have created of her. One of those things was chess. She loved playing and she loved winning, she was addicted to the feeling of destroying her opponent, it gave her serotonin, like nothing else. She was taught by her grandfather, Emrys Pendragon, who was known to be cunning, rigid and ruthless in his time of being an Auror and then the Head of Auror Office.

"Chess can teach you a lot about life. To win, you have to be at least three steps ahead, you have to have a plan. You have to make moves that other's too scared to make, you'll have to sacrifice some pieces. You can't waste any opportunity. You have to be merciless; the goal always justifies the means - just like in life. You know why is chess a one-on-one game?" Eris timidly shook her head, not being able to look away from the board. "Because no one can protect you better than yourself. No one will go to as great lengths to save you as you. Remember that, you can't trust anyone with your life."

Eris never forgot that conversation because that was the first time she realised, how high the expectation, she had to live up to, were. How strong she'll have to fight.

Every member of the Pendragon family was highly influential no matter what field they chose to work in. And even though they tried to avoid being affiliated with politics in the public eye as much as they could, they still paid off almost every leading politician to control the wizarding world. Eris knew this and she knew what it took her family to get these powerful positions. Emrys told her the history of the Pendragons all the way from King Arthur and Merlin himself. The family suffered from a lot of attacks in the past, there was a lot of bloodsheds caused by envy and fear from other ancient families. However, the Pendragons never gave up, they were survivors, they lived trough everything, because the only people they ever trusted, were each other. "Blood over everything." Family over everything.

After the first time Eris heard all this, she had nightmares all night. She woke up in cold sweat, the taste of blood in her mouth made her heart sink - she realised she bit her tongue so hard, it started bleeding. She was six years old.

She was introduced to the world of dragons when she was four. Hidden in the higher mountains of Wales, lived a dozen of the Pendragon family's personal ones. Eris loved all of them. She never understood, why people thought they were bestial or bloodthirsty - but that was probably because she never saw them with an outsider's eye. She was captivated by their glorious, magnificent being. She always wanted to be a dragon, she wanted their power, the ability to fly away whenever they wanted to. She spent most of her childhood among them due to the fact that she had no one else to play with. She didn't have to prove anything to them, act like someone she's not, so for that, she didn't mind.

That was until Emrys Pendragon decided, he needed to teach his granddaughter a lesson.

"You can not care for anything more, than for yourself. Do you hear me, child?" He dragged the crying girl outside by her arm. Eris screamed from the top of her lung. "Shut it." Emrys silenced her, not with his yelling, but with the extremely calm tone of his voice. "They are not you're friends. They are beasts, you have to treat them as such. You mustn't let your guard down, you understand me?"

Eris mumbled a quiet "yes".

"Look up, Eris." And she did, she looked through the tears that filled her eyes, she didn't see clearly, but she knew, what was happening.

A young dragon named Neryla, that was born on the same day as Eris herself was born (due to this fact Neryla was the one she felt close to the most), was chained. No dragon was chained on a ground owned by Pendragons. She felt a sharp pain in her chest as the first arrow was shot in Neryla's metallic blue wings. The dragon let out a loud scream filled with pain at the same time as Eris jerked her arms out of his grandfather's strong grip. She started running towards Neryla without even thinking about the consequences, she just knew, she had to protect her, even with her own body. She never made it to the dragon, Emrys caught her before she could reach Neryla. He grabbed her face rough, forcing her to watch the cruel scene. Neryla was shot countless times, but never in her head nor heart. They wanted her to suffer so Eris would suffer.

And she did. 

That was the day she promised herself, she would never love again.