5

cttro

~

"Are you really trying to pass the blame onto Bokuto? Why on earth would he do such a thing? He's practically a saint!" Etsuko's voice echoed through the phone, her irritation palpable. She paced around her apartment, stopping by her shoe cabinet to select a pair for the day. A sudden sneeze interrupted her thoughts, prompting a mental note to dust during her next day off.

"An angel? Hardly! He's more like a hideous owl with gray horns!" came the retort from the other end of the line.

"Enough with the absurdities!" Etsuko shot back, her voice laced with frustration. "It's clear as day that you were the one who posted it. Bokuto doesn't even have any of my childhood photos. Delete it this instant, or I swear I'll shave off your ridiculous chicken-like hair!" She rushed to her room to grab her bag, then darted to the kitchen to prepare lunch boxes.

"Wow, you're really holding a grudge, aren't you?" Atsumu's voice took on a teasing tone. "You looked adorable in those strawberry pajamas, you know. Maybe I should ask mom to find that outfit?" His voice was dripping with mischief, confirming Etsuko's suspicion that he was indeed the culprit behind the embarrassing photo's appearance on the team's official volleyball page.

Etsuko sighed, reaching for the lunch boxes in the lower cabinet and placing them near the sink. "Atsumu, it's humiliating. Why would you post it on the team's account?"

"It was a mistake, alright? I meant to post it on my personal account, but I forgot to log out of the team's account after updating it yesterday. I didn't realize until after I'd posted your picture. My bad." Atsumu confessed. 

Etsuko felt her heart sink. "It's mortifying, Atsumu. Just delete it. Nobody cares about my childhood photos anyway." She set her phone on speaker and placed it on the countertop, freeing her hands to continue her tasks.

"Well, I care, and I'm not going to let them dictate what I do with my account. I'm proud of my sister and I want to show her off." Atsumu retorted.

"Touching sentiment, brother, but it's my face in that picture. So, keep it to yourself." Etsuko continued her work, gathering ingredients for lunch. "Remember, payback's a bitch."

Atsumu groaned. "Don't you dare! If you do, I'm not cooking for you anymore!"

"You never cook anyway!" Etsuko shot back. "And don't even think about showing your face when I get back, or else..."

"Wait, are you actually coming home?" Atsumu interrupted, his voice softening. Home. The word hung in the air, causing Etsuko to pause in her movements. After a few seconds, she shook herself out of her reverie and managed a small, bittersweet smile. 

"It's our hometown, idiot. Am I not allowed to return to my own house?" She continued packing the lunch boxes into a paper bag.

"I'm glad you've moved on." Atsumu's voice was barely a whisper, a sigh of relief escaping his lips. "We can go home together. I'm flying back to Japan next month."

"That's perfect! It's settled then." Etsuko's excitement was evident in her voice.

"I'll book our flights." Atsumu said from the other line. 

"No, let's drive." Etsuko suggested.

Atsume teased, "I don't trust your driving skills."

"Coming from the guy who crashed his car." Etsuko retorted.

"Shut up. No driving." Atsumu insisted, "Osamu wouldn't agree with it."

Etsuko equipped, "Since when did you start listening to your twin?"

"Since we went our separate ways." Atsumu's tone turned serious.

"Sweet."

"Enough. No driving." Atsumu emphasized.

Etsuko could hear the tapping of phone keys on the other end. 

"I've booked our flights. Tell Osamu about it too." Atsumu instructed.

"Roger that." Etsuko saluted, a grin on her face.

"Are you sure about this?" Atsumu's voice held a note of concern.

Etsuko's smile faded. Closing her eyes, she leaned against the cold marble countertop. "You sure know how to kill the mood."

Atsumu exhaled. "I'm just worried about you, Etsuko. You've been avoiding our hometown for years to avoid running into him. I'm glad you've moved on, but I'm afraid seeing him again might bring back old wounds. Do you understand, do you even understand what I'm saying?"

"Relax, I'll be fine. Besides..." Etsuko's voice trailed off as she moved to the window. Outside, a familiar figure was waiting for her. Kenma, casually leaning against his car, game console in hand, looked up and met her gaze. A wave of affection washed over her as she waved back. "I think I've found someone new."

Atsumu's voice echoed from the phone, a mix of surprise and annoyance. "What?! Etsuko, you can't just drop a bombshell like that and-"

Etsuko cut him off, grabbing her things and rushing out the door. "I'll tell you more later! Bye! Love you!" With that, she ended the call, leaving a flustered Atsumu on the other end.

"Excuse me? Are you cheating on me?" Kenma arched an eyebrow, moving to the passenger side of the car to open the door for her. Etsuko trailed behind him, a bemused expression on her face.

"He's my brother, Kenma." Etsuko rolled her eyes, a hint of amusement in her voice. "And for the last time, you're not my boyfriend."

As Etsuko was getting comfortable in her seat, Kenma suddenly leaned in, his face mere inches from hers. She held her breath, taken aback by the unexpected closeness.

"Not yet." He corrected her, his voice barely above a whisper. With that, he closed the car door, leaving Etsuko to catch her breath and process the unexpected confession. She watched him walk around the car and slide into the driver's seat.

"Ready to go, Euko?" Kenma extended his hand towards her.

A warm feeling spread through her chest. Maybe... just maybe, she did have feelings for him.

morons. | Miya Atsumu & OsamuOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara