Old friend

My heart still hurts for the pain inside of you that I could not heal. He said you would meet me , I remember the way my heart thumped and roared into anxiety. You got off the bus , I could see the way you stared at him annoyed , my heart had broken for the little girl you used to be. You stumbled towards me with your red sweater and your eyes as soft and sad as the little version of you who cried when she had to present a speech.

You spoke to me softly ,your eyes gazing down ashamed. How could you ever think I'd see you as anything but beautiful and beyond? We spoke for just a few minutes , the quiver in your voice telling me your heart was shattering just as much as mine. I don't think anyone ever really realizes the pain of letting go of a childhood friend. The students around me snickered and laughed , I could tell they were playing Judy the judge.

You wrapped your arms around me tightly , the smell of cigarettes and roses filling my nostrils. I held you close , i think you could feel the way my heart broke. Brown eyes met hazel , tears glistening both our eyes. I still love you , even though you're held captive by the drugs. We had to let go , it was time for me to go to class.

You took a part of me , a part of this heart made out of shattered glass. I recreated you on my English paper , my tears staining the white blank page. My teacher could tell I needed a minute to breathe. I cried for you that day. I cried for the girl that I could have saved. I prayed so hard , I prayed that we'd meet again. You're still my best friend. I hope you know my heart hurts for you , oh my dear old friend.

                          -Liyah Smith