f i f t y - f o u r

Começar do início

"'S okay, Gray," she said. "Baby go for walk too." He laughed a little, hiccuping through his tears.

"That's not how it works pumpkin." She frowned as she pulled away from her hug. "I don't think the baby's coming back."

"Uh oh." He nodded as she wiped at his tears, smiling as her ring scratch his cheek a little. "Mama baby gone too?"

"Oh no," he said quickly. "No, no, not your mama's, just y/n's," he whispered. He hadn't thought about e/w.

"No fair," she said, crossing her arms. "Baby gotta come back." He kissed her cheek.

"I know," he whispered. "Uncle Gray's not so happy about that."

"Elle sad too, uncle Gray," she sighed. "No fair, no fair." He crossed the street and they headed back down the other street, heading back for their homes. "Y/NN sad?" she asked.

Gray's face fell further. "I think so," he whispered. Elle's lip began to quiver. "Hey, don't cry, pumpkin."

"Gotta hug y/nn," she whispered, rubbing at her eyes. Gray pulled her fists away. She was getting tired.

"I'll hug her for you, okay?" he asked. "I promise?"

"Now?"

"When I go home?" She nodded as she rested her head on his shoulder. He rubbed her back as he ran across the street again, a few houses away from E's again. "You tired, pumpkin?"

"Uh huh," she whispered. "Gonna hug y/nn 'morrow, Gray," she whispered.

"I think she'd appreciate that." Elle nodded as he kissed her head. "Thank you," he whispered once she'd drifted off. It brought him to tears again as he headed up E's porch.

He knocked gently and E was at the door in a few moments. "'S she asleep?" Gray nodded. "Everything good?" Ethan asked, pulling his daughter back into his arms.

"Yeah," Gray whispered.

"You and y/n fight?" Gray's eyes shut. "Okay, alright, go home-- I'll talk to you tomorrow, man." Gray nodded, eyes watering as he and E did their handshake.

"Tell e/w I sai-- said thanks," he whispered. E nodded, worried for his brother.

"Of course."

And Gray walked back home to you.

---

You headed down, eyes still puffy and red, sighing to see the kitchen light still on. Walking towards it, you caught sight of Grayson, sitting at the island with a glass of wine next to him, head in his hands as he rested his elbows on the table.

You walked over, swallowing. He turned at the sound of your footsteps. Looking at you but not quite meeting your eye, he remained sitting as you approached.

You didn't say much-- or anything at all, really. You stayed standing a few steps away from him as he reached up to wipe at his eyes with his sleeves pulled over his fists.

He was crying.

You walked right over, standing between his legs as your hands dropped onto his shoulders, playing with the collar of his crewneck as his one hand gently reached up to hold onto the hem of your t-shirt.

You pulled his head closer to you and let it rest against your chest as his fist tightened around the fabric of your t-shirt. Sighing, you played with the curls at the base of his neck. And he began to cry, sobbing into your t-shirt, his one fist still holding onto your t-shirt, the other resting at your side.

"It's okay," you whispered gently, tearing up a little too. He shook his head and you held him close as you let him cry.

"I'm so sorry."

You let your eyes fall closed, all out of tears. You rubbed what you could reach of his back as he cried and cried. "It's over now," you whispered, holding him close.

He pulled away, his fist still hold your t-shirt, the other reaching to wipe at his eyes and nose. "Our baby," he whispered. You stared at him. "Our b--" his voice broke off.

"Sh," you whispered, pulling him in once again. He'd been holding onto your shirt so tight that when he let go, he couldn't feel his knuckles. You pulled away from him and cradled his jaw in your hands. "I'm sorry," you whispered.

"No, no, no shut up-- you don't, you don't have any-anything to be sorry about," he whispered. "You-- you--"

"It was my bod--"

"No, y/n, st-- stop it." You stared. "I was-- I was the one that caused-- caused you so much stress and we-- we knew that stress wasn't good for-- for the baby and I-- I caused so much trou-- trouble anyway," he said through hiccups.

"Gray."

"And I knew-- and I-- fuck, fuck, y/n, this is-- this is all my fault," he whispered, hand on your stomach. "Are you-- are you sure?" he asked, looking up at you, eyes red and puffy. You wiped at his tears.

"I think so," you whispered. "I think so."

"We-- we have to go tomorrow," he whispered. "To-- to the clin--"

"I have an appointment on Wednesday," you told him. He shook his head, looking around for his phone. He patted his pockets and caught sight of it still on the floor where he'd thrown it earlier.

"No, no-- we have to go tomorrow to make sure you're okay," he whispered. "Let's call--" You stopped him from getting up and he looked up at you. You bent down to kiss his lips gently, letting your lips longer than you'd intended to.

"Please calm down," you whispered. His eyebrows furrowed up.

"Y/N, that's our baby--" his voice began to raise and your hand on his neck loosened. He swallowed and tried again, voice gentle again. "Our baby," he whispered. "It's our baby, how-- how are you so calm?"

"Because I've been crying for hours, Gray," you whispered. "I don't know what else to think." He stared at you. "I don't care."

"Y/N--"

"I can't do anything for you, Gray." He began to shake his head. "I can't be the wife you need me to be, I can't be there for you and now I can't even give you a bab--"

"Don't," he whispered. "Don't say that."

"But clearly I can't." He shook his head and you shook yours back. "Gray, please stop trying to make me seem better than I a--"

"I love you," he whispered. "You're the best you can be and that's all I'll ever need from you, okay?" His hand lifted to your neck and pulled you down to kiss him. He stood, wrapping his arms around you. You breathed in his scent.

"Where'd you go?" you asked. "Earlier."

"I'm sorry I slammed the door," he whispered. "I'm really sorry."

"You were upset," you accepted. "I understand." He kissed you again.

"I went to E's," he whispered.

"Did you tell them?" you asked. He shook his head. "Okay."

"I-- I told Elle," he whispered. You looked up, chin against his chest. "I didn't know who to--"

"That's okay," you whispered. "Does she understand?" Gray shrugged.

"She teared up." You frowned, forehead against his chest. "I know."

"Why did this have to happen to us?" Gray let out a heavy sigh.

"Because it wasn't our time."