Let be me selfish, if just for a little while.

Start from the beginning

"Ah sorry, but uhm," he covers his amusement with a cough, as if he was clearing his throat, "I didn't expect Eraserhead to be so- ah- c-calm about it."

The silence that follows his statement is unnerving, making him regret ever speaking up. Reevaluating his words, he can't find anything weird about what he said. That is until Eraserhead speaks up.

"How did you know who I was?"

Cursing himself for his carelessness, Izuku fumbles to find a believable response. "I- uh- r-recognized your voice, we've m-met before and Shinsou told me you were his and Bakugou's teacher, not to mention that time when you called me out near the h-hospital and I heard Iida calling you on the phone and telling you about the m-mall incident so..." His voice gets lower as his words get faster and before he knows it he's pulled himself into an all-out mumbling fit. However, when he finally stops himself, the adults seem to believe his answer. He can hear Aizawa's heart stutter the moment he mentions their first meeting, however, he doesn't let the man say anything before trying to redirect the conversation. "C-can we just get the w-witness testimony over with, please? It's been a long day."

"Yes, yes of course, please take a seat." Tsukauchi amends after a moment, clearly disgruntled by the word-vomit Izuku just spilled from his mouth.

They follow through the usual protocols pretty easily, answering any and every question they get asked with as much detail as they can, as they tell the two men in front of them what happened at the mall.

"Wait, so you decided to antagonize a villain that could've disintegrated you within a couple of seconds?" Tsukauchi asks as soon as Bakugou tells them about his conversation with Shigaraki.

"I needed to distract him and I just told him the first thing that came to my mind I guess?" He tries to sound sheepish but the scoff he hears Bakugou lets out, along with the soft murmur of 'problem child' from Aizawa tell him he didn't quite succeed.

Next, they tell them about the rest of their interaction with Shigaraki, and despite Izuku's clear reluctance, Bakugou tells them about Shigaraki's parting words.

"This is even worse than we expected," Tsukauchi says with a nod to Aizawa. "Bakugou, we've contacted your parents, they should be waiting for you outside by now."

Bakugou recognizes the dismissal but doesn't seem inclined to take his leave any time soon, instead, he turns to Izuku.

"Who's waiting for him then?"

Aizawa, who's been mostly quiet until now, chooses that moment to speak up.

"The league knowing who he is, changes things greatly." Turning towards Izuku, his voice is grave, as if he wants to convey the seriousness of the situation. "It makes you a target Midoriya."

"I-uh- live at the orphanage in the Musutafu district. I can get there on my own." He knows he's walking on a thin line, he doesn't know how much the two men in front of him know about his situation.

"Midoriya, you don't have to lie to us."

"You haven't lived there for a long time now," Aizawa adds, almost as if to prove their point.

The words hit him hard, making it clear just how much he's slipped up. The detective had a truth detecting quirk for god's sake. How could he have forgotten such a crucial detail?

He feels Bakugou's head swivel to glare at him. The teen is probably realizing the reason behind Izuku's reluctance to talk about himself now.

Letting the nervous act drop for a second, Izuku lets his back slump against the chair, crossing his arms almost automatically, a habit manifesting itself by the need to put up his shields, he won't be slipping up anymore. "So, you've read my file?" It's more like a statement than a question, they couldn't have known about the orphanage otherwise.