Chapter Ten

“Okay, I’ve had enough of this. Get in the truck, we’re going to the police.” 

Phoenix looked up at me with wide eyes but I told her to save it, there is no way I’m not just going to let him get away again. I get in the passenger side and keep Phoenix on my lap, trying to calm her down and make her feel safe. Blade hopped in the driver seat and as soon as Blair was in the back, he stepped on the gas. We drove straight to the police station that was a couple blocks from our house.

We were about a block away when a black sedan came out of nowhere and slammed into the back of the truck from the side. Phoenix looked out the window and stiffened.

“It’s him,” she whispered. 

The truck swerved from side to side as Blade tried to regain control and Phoenix held on to me tighter when the black sedan rammed into us again, this time rear-ending us.

“Blade, just pull over. If we keep going someone might get hurt.” 

He pulled over and I jumped out of the car. Still holding Phoenix against me, I started running as fast as I could in the direction of the police station. I could hear two sets of footsteps behind me, and I knew it was Blade and Blair. Then, I could only hear one.  Shortly after the sound of the second set of footsteps discontinued, I heard what sounded like a body being slammed against a wall. Looking behind me, I saw that Blair had him pinned up against the wall of the building that was next to us. She punched him once, square in the nose, and let him go. He fell to the ground unconscious and she pulled a zip tie out of her combat boot and cuffed his hands behind his back. 

That girl has everything, I thought as I chuckled and kept running. She caught up to us quick and in no time we busted through the doors of the police station. The sheriff looked up from his paperwork with a startled look on his face and everyone stopped what they were doing to stare at us.

“What’s wrong, son?” he asked, obviously aware that this is not a social visit.

“We have something to tell you,” I told him and pulled Phoenix back enough to look at her face.

“Phoe,” I said softly, “you need to tell him.” 

She nodded and motioned that she wanted to get down. I set her down gently and Blair handed her the backpack she had been carrying this whole time. It had all of our evidence in it. They were just copies, of course. The originals were in a safe place that he’ll never be able to find or get to. You can never be too careful.

“There is something I should probably tell you Sheriff, something I probably should’ve come to you about a while ago.”

Phoenix’s P.O.V.

“That didn’t have to happen,” he said after hitting my brother over the head with a rock.

“Dallas!!!” I yelled as I knelt beside him, trying to shake him awake. When he didn’t respond, I checked him for a pulse. I let out an inaudible sigh of relief when I found one.

“I told you I would take care of anyone that stood in our way, now are you going to come with you or am I going to find the rest of your little friends to show you I am not joking?”

I didn’t respond. How do you reply to a person who just knocked out your twin brother/best friend and is threatening to do worse to the people who are trying to help protect you? I was just staring at Dallas, watching the blood leak out of his head, and I was so distracted that I didn’t feel him walk up behind me.

“Fine, have it your way,” he said and grabbed my hair, dragging me behind him by it. I kicked and contorted my body at weird angles to try and make him let me go. After a few tries and fails, I started doing alligator rolls. This took him by surprise and gave me a few seconds to escape. I rose quickly to my feet and made a mad dash for the trains that seemed to have appeared out of never. As I got closer, I got myself ready to jump. Just before I got myself into position, I was shoved from behind. I rolled on the ground and when what happened clicked in my brain I tried to roll and then get away. He grabbed me by my hair and began to drag me again. This time, I struggled even harder. Realising I wasn’t giving up without a fight, he stopped dragging me and yanked me up to his level.

“Fight me on this, and I’ll go back and I’ll slit his throat; understood?”

I didn’t answer; instead I spit in his face. He quickly became enraged and slapped me hard across the face. I spat again, this time with blood mixed in it and he punched me. I felt myself fading and just hoped that Dallas would be okay, that Blade and Blair would find him before it was too late and and maybe, just maybe, they’d save me one more time.

(900 words)